SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

House Cold Upstairs, Warm Downstairs

Laurie
12 years ago

I purchased a 95 year old home last spring and had central a/c installed that summer. The house is rather small, a Craftsman with only 3 rooms downstairs, and 3 upstairs plus a bathroom on each (downstairs it's a small powder room & closet area). Total square footage of the home is around 1650.

We seem to be having the opposite problem from the usual. Upstairs, it is very comfortable all the time. Thermostat is usually set at 72 and I'd go as far as to say at times "chilly" could describe it if we go down to 71 which happens frequently in order to cool downstairs better (or at times, even 70 - which really bothers me to have to do).

However, downstairs is another issue. It's usually comfortable enough, not warm to the point where you need to go upstairs, but not as cool as one would expect it to be. The thermostat usually reads higher downstairs than the a/c is set for (the thermostat that controls the system is in the hallway upstairs, we have another thermostat that controls our radiator heating in our dining room).

We do have the sun beaming into the living room late in the day, but keep the drapes drawn as that begins (the drapes are also the type that are supposed to help with heating/cooling issues).

The a/c unit is in the attic; Trane. There is a basement which is obviously rather cool even in the summer but, we did not run the a/c into the basement because it's unfinished and always will be.

Since the system is brand new (and had been checked at the beginning of the season) we're rather sure it isn't anything going wrong per se in the system.

I do wonder at times if the fact that we have some drafty doors that need replacement may be contributing to the problem - that warm air may be infiltrating and replacing the cool air (that's on our agenda for replacement before winter sets in again).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas what might be happening I'd appreciate the input. I am going to call for service to see what's up, but figured I'd post here as well.

Comments (7)