SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_couver

Am I retiring my current furnace too soon?

jim-couver
14 years ago

I was considering having A/C installed in my home and had a sales rep from a local HVAC company come by to check the house out for an estimate. In the course of his visit, he looked at the Gas Furnace in the garage. It's a Ruud Silhouette II, which was installed when the house was built in 1996. He asked if I had and problems with it, and I mentioned the one; the circuit board needed to be replaced last year. He said I was pretty lucky, citing that it looked to be a builder model (probably used in every home in the surrounding neighborhood/development) and did not have many years left to it. The impression was failure/replacement was imminent.

From here, the conversation changed from "I want to install an A/C unit for under $3500" to "You really should replace the furnace too when you install the AC." He's recommending Lennox for both units (Furnace: G-71, AC: XC-15).

Not only will I get the $1500 tax credit, they'll match it with a price break bringing it to around $9600+tax installed. I'm also sure that I'd save some $ on my heating costs with this WAY more efficient unit.

Obviously, this is way more than what I had bargained for but all things considered what would you do? Is there a benefit to replacing the furnace now or am I retiring my current furnace way too early?

Comments (6)