SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

how to cal heating and cooling costs

cindywhitall
11 years ago

New thread as this info might be useful to many.

I'm not sure the best way to calulate heat and cooling costs because obviously the bills don't break than down for us. I have seen online calculators to determine heating and cooling costs. One of them asked for price per kilowat for electric and I had always assumed that was the "price to compare" for my electric bill, which was 11.54 cents. I just now divided my kWh by my total bill and got a figure of 19.6! Which number do I use? This is the site I was using http://www.hvacopcost.com/

not sure of my gas rate either. I assume I use the total of supply and delivery....5857+.6493= 1.235. Somewhere I'd gotten the idea that NJ was around 1.00/therm

That calc doesn't give a heat pump option but says I'd save $400/yr in a/c and only 169 in heat. Hopefully, the heat pump option and the insulation add some savings.

Does electric go down in the winter? Does gas generally change?

Is the site I listed a good way to tell my costs, or is it better to subtract what I spend in May thru Sept from what I spend in Oct-April to get an idea of heat costs, and reverse for a/c?

Comments (17)