SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gitrdone_gw

Trane XL15i, XV80 & XV95 or another brand?

13 years ago

Thanks in advance for any insights you might have. This forum has been a great education. We're in the Atlanta area, looking to replace one of our AC/furnace combos, due to multiple freon leaks (likely in the indoor coil). Our house is 10.5 yrs. old, brick 2 story that faces NW. Insulation and windows are average quality. The faulty system services our first floor, approx. 2000 sq. ft. The furnace is in our unfinished basement. No problematic warm or cold spots. The system is a 3 ton Carrier AC combined with an 80% efficient Carrier gas furnace (40h x 17.5w x 28d), single stage (88,000 IN and 71,000 OUT). We also have an Aprilaire humidifier attached to our furnace. When working, this system has been ok in terms of heating and cooling (first freon leak was at 4 year mark), and a recent Manual J showed that this capacity is appropriate.

We're looking at the Trane XL15i with XV80 (combo qualifies for Fed tax credit) or XL15i with XV95 (furnace qualifies, combo doesn't). Based on some AHRI data, it looks like the XL15i is more efficient at cooling when paired with the XV80 vs. XV95, but the XV95, obviously, is a more efficient furnace. We could probably use a heat pump with furnace back up where we live, but we prefer not to. Also, not keen on the XL16i b/c of reviews.

XL15i 4TTX5036A (3 ton), XV80 TUD100R9V5K (2 stage 79,000/52,000, size (40h x 21w x 28d), Coil 4TXCC044BC, Tstat TCONT803A

AHRI Ref#1416268: 4TTX5036A1 outdoor XL15i, 4TXCC044BC3 coil, UD100R9V5 furnace, cooling cap 36,400, EER 13.00, SEER 16.00

XL15i 4TTX5036A (3 ton), XV95 TUH2B080A9V3VA (2 stage 79,000/52,000, size 40h x 21w x 28d), Coil-??, Tstat TCONT803A

AHRI Ref#: 2008248 TUH2B808A9V3VA, Input MBTUH 80, Output MBTUH 76, AFUE - 95%

Questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the reliability/repair history/known issues of these models XL15i, XV80 or XV95 (issues not related to installation)?

2. Are the aluminum Trane indoor coils truly better than others? What about Trane outdoor spine fin coil(s)?

3. Old furnace is 17." wide. New one would be 21" wide. How important is it to have the plenum re sized?

4. What's the criteria for getting a new line set? I believe the current line is already the correct size. Should do or could do?

5. Any other brand combos we should consider?

6. How can we know if we already have the proper wiring for the TCONT803A stat?

7. The shortest distance to vent a HE furnace would be out the front of the house. Not sure how far off the ground the pipe would be. Bushes would probably block view of it from the street - still would that be too ugly to have it at the from of house? Next shortest distance would put vent under our deck. What are considerations for this? Third choice would route the PVC about 30 feet across the basement ceiling to the side of the house.

8. How do you keep critters out of the PVC vent for HE furnace? Critters love to get indoors in GA.

9. What things should be on my checklist to review with crew post installation?

10. What's the best coil for XL15i with XV95? Lots of combos listed by AHRI (only furnace eligible for tax credit, though)

Priorities:

1. Reliability and maintainability. Would rather go with less efficient equipment, if it will be more reliable and less costly to maintain. I'm a busy mom with little ones. Husband works long hours, so household stuff is my domain. I don't mind educating myself about these things, but I'm always short on time and energy. Hate it when things break down, especially prematurely.

2. Quality workmanship. We're seeking out high quality providers.

3. Want a quiet system and a thermostat that will allow us to take advantage of equipment features, but not a t-stat that is so complicated that it will drive me nuts.

4. Want new system to be more efficient than the old one, but doesn't have to be the most efficient combo possible. Considering state & Federal rebates, XV95 will cost $600 more than XV80. Maybe gas savings of $100 - $150 year, depending on weather, rates.

Comments (14)