SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tstex

AC Attic Blower/Blower Relay Switch

tstex
9 years ago

Hello to All,

I have a Payne Unit that was installed in 2002. When I turned up the t-stat, the condensing unit went off as normal, but the attic blower continued even way past the time-delay seting.

The t-stat was set on Auto, so the attic fan/blower was supposed to turn and never did, so I pulled the breaker to the AC unit. Inside, the blower was off now. In 30 minutes, I turned breaker back on, blower in attic unit was was back on again. Turned breakers off again and left off for 2-3 hrs. Turned breakers back on, blower was on again.

So, went into the attic and found the place where the blower was in the Unit and knocked the unit and on the 5th time, the blower turned-off. From what I have read, this is the fan relay switch and the contacts are either oxidized, pitted, etc and were stuck. The jarring of the unit caused the contacts to release. The t-stat was in the auto position which means the blower was set to off if not cycling.

In 2-3 hrs later, I turned the t-stat down and the unit performed as normal and cycled itself properly. However, since this happened 1-2 yrs ago, I think it is time the relay switch is replaced.

I am going to pull the fan relay switch in the attic unit and trace the wires back to the fan motor. Of course I am going to turn-off all of the breakers to the AC/heating Unit which there are 2 of them. I found the part for $14, but just wanted to see if anyone has any advice that can make the fan relay switch installation a 100% success. I am going to take pictures of all and then draw the schematics as well. I have all of the original AC documentation/op's manuals from the installation date.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
tstex

This post was edited by tstex on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 14:01

Comments (9)