SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djborden

AC Assistance Requested for 1500 sq ft Shop

djborden
13 years ago

Brand new member, but have used the excellent advice on gardenweb for many home projects for a number of years and am hoping for some advice on putting AC in my home workshop.

Its been getting over 100 degrees quite often where I live and its making working in the shop pretty uncomfortable.

Im looking for some recommendations for AC to cool it down.

Shop is 1500 sq ft.(30x50x12) Insulated pretty well. 8x 3x3 Dual pane windows, insulated double garage door, walls and ceiling. I was thinking of going with a regular home unit with a basic air handler that I can hang from the ceiling or a wall and just have a single large vent right off the air handler.

I need to keep the cost down and at this point donÂt want to deal with ducting if I can get away with it. Id like to get the temp to mid 70's if I want when its 100f outside. I donÂt need heat at this time since I have a pellet stove that works great for that.

Ive run a few of those online sizing tools and its says I need about ~3 ton unit for my sq ft. I will only be running it a couple times a week depending on when I get time out there. Is sizing critical, or will the online tools give me a good enough range? Ive read it should not be oversized or the system wonÂt control humidity. Does a 3 ton unit sound right?

This place sells kits for the DIY and I can get something in that size complete with AC only air handler for $1500-2K. This place sells kits from Ruud, Fedders and Goodman brands.

http://www.acdirect.com/air_conditio...ditioners_.php

Are any of these brands good?

Suggestions on size and a reliable manufacture would be greatly appreciated. I donÂt need fancy features, just a reliable unit thatÂs value priced. Its just a shop.

I have a friend that is an HVAC pro that will help me install it. Any suggestions on where to buy the unit would be appreciated as well.

David

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!