SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvercomet1

What? 'Shouldn't set A/C thermostat below 72 degrees?'

silvercomet1
16 years ago

Hi all! I'm in my new house with a new air conditioner, but since it took so long to finish the house the air conditioner has actually been installed for awhile. But I've finally moved in and the air conditioner hasn't been doing so well. It was icing up, and the tech said that either the unit wasn't filled with enough freon in the first place or there was a freon leak, but either way he'd add freon to it and then if the level dropped, we'd know that it was a leak. So he did, and it ran better for awhile, but the performance doesn't seem to be very good - it runs pretty much all the time and often doesn't seem to be able to cool the house. It's a 5-ton air conditioner in a roughly 5500 square foot house with a lot of windows; I'm starting to wonder if the unit is undersized.

But the tech said something that struck me as very odd - that you "shouldn't ever set the thermostat below 72 degrees or it's really bad for your air conditioner". Is it possible there's any truth behind this or is it just a line of bull? I've never heard of this with any AC unit in any house or apartment I've ever lived in, but wanted to check with the knowledgable people here just in case there's some tiny kernel of truth to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (8)