SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Choosing a house- your thoughts

We are looking for a house are considering two choices.

One house:
1. Is in a very nice gated neighborhood, located on 10 acres. The neighborhood is all really nice houses and ours would be the lowest priced house in the neighborhood by around $100K. There are a lot of fruit trees (300+) on the property that I would want removed (I don't want to take care of them). It is like $10K more than we want to spend (but in this price range, it doesn't really matter that much plus our RE thinks they might be willing to come down). The house is OK. It is pretty-ish but not special. There are beautiful areas right around the house to walk the dogs, which I enjoy doing a lot. There would be very high maintenance and upkeep costs. It is closer to restaurants and the beach. (Commuting to work is not an issue, and last year I went to the beach 3 times total)

The other house:
1. Is amazing. Is has every single interior and exterior feature we are looking for. Has a gorgeous lake view, is on 3.6 acres, and would be a lot less to maintain. This house should also be less expensive than the other house.
2. Is on a pretty-ish street, but the house immediately next door is not that great. Zillow also indicates the house next door is in default, which means it's probably going to be foreclosed on (?).
Although the house we like is on 3 acres, it is very close to this not-that-nice house (by not-that-nice, I don't mean a slum. Zillow estimate for the value is $385K. It i just not as nice as the other houses in the area). The main living area for our house (outside pool, etc.) is on the opposite side to this home. Our garages are closest to it.
The street the house is on is a small private dead end off a busy road so there's essentially no walking area for the dogs. However, I could drive 3/10th of a mile and be in an association community w/ sidewalks where I could walk. This house also has a fenced yard so the dogs could play outside (although they would still be walked at least once per day)

What would you buy, if either. We've been looking for 6.5 months and these are the only options that have been even close (other than one house that was bought out from under us that we loved). I don't want to wait too much longer b/c I would like to be in the new house by Nov 15....

Comments (32)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional