SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eths_gw

Hot Attic Split Unit Versus 2 Packaged Units

eths
16 years ago

I have a 40+ year old house in Florida:

Single story, split plan, @2,000 square feet. Currently has a 2.5 ton 7 year old split 10 SEER RUUD (with the air handler in the hot - but vented attic). Poor insulation in attic, but plan on having insulation blown in once the rectangular metal duct work is determined viable... There is one return register for the whole house (wish to have at least 2 more).

MY DILEMMA: Set at 76 degrees, our unit (on 90+ degree days) runs continually (at least 22 hours per day). The side of the house closest to the air handler may get to 77, while the other side is in the low 80s. The space is very limited in the attic (4 feet maximum only at the ridge then sloping down from there). Based on my reading, my unit is obvioulsy undersized, and should probably be 4 to 5 tons. I know a load calculation is needed. Would it make any sense at all to have 2 to 3 ton packaged units installed at both sides of the house? That would move the air handler from the hot (inconvenient) attic to the outside of the house. If a contractor can reasonably perform the ducting tie-in with existing, could this work (2 separate units with 2 thermostats)? My thought is that I am probably going to hear that my current metal ducts will not support one 4 to 5 ton unit. Why not two 2 to 3 ton units?

Can someone please explain to me specifically why metal ducts that support a 2.5 ton undersized unit may not support a unit 4 to 5 tons? My thinking is that the air would be supplied at greater velocity, and would be louder, but would be supplied all the same. I know that is ignorant, but I still have not been provided with an explanation I can easily understand...

Thanks to all (in advance) for answering to these many questions. This site is great!

Comments (2)