SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlnjz_gw

Ideas please -- Upstairs is too hot in Cape Cod style home

jlnjz
10 years ago

We are in the process of buying a house with 1-1/2 stories. The upstairs is pretty large -- 3 bdrms each with it's own bath. I had an HVAC guy check it out during the inspection because we could see that there were 2 systems and we assumed one was for upstairs and wasn't working. Turns out that 1 system handles the west 1/2 of the house and the other handles the east 1/2 and the upstairs. My guy said that the systems are working normally but that the upstairs return air is handled thru the same duct as the main floor and that's a "no-no". He said that it doesn't allow enough hot air to be pulled from the upstairs. He said the best fix would be to run a new return air duct from upstairs to the basement but doing this may be cost prohibitive (if its even possible). We thought about a whole separate system for upstairs but that won't work because you can't get ductwork to all the rooms due to the really tight "attic" space. I asked about zoning and he's a one-man shop and doesn't do much of that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (8)