SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cigarlover_gw

Complete HVAC Replacement Project

CigarLover
12 years ago

Hello All,

I have been around the construction industry all my life (36 years) as well as making it my career, however my knowledge of HVAC until a few months ago was very limited. It has been a challenging experience but fun & very worthwhile. I have taken on the task of researching new systems for my mother�s home. Her home was built 25 years ago & the Central HVAC system was installed at that time using a builder�s grade (Carrier) system. The system has worked well all these years however it�s now time to do a complete replacement. I have learned a few things over the years in construction, the most important being: You get what you pay for, every time! That being said I have scoured the HVAC industry recently to find the Best equipment available at the best value for our money. I have located a very good contractor to sell us the equipment & perform the install but I want to insure that I am getting a fair deal as well as getting the right system for our application. I would really appreciate your opinions/expertise or any suggestions as we would like to do the complete replacement in the next 3-4 weeks. Thank you in advance, this site is really great!

Home Details:

�2 Story Home in Northern California (Pretty mild Climate that we have)

�1500 Square Feet of living space built on slab

�The home gets sun in the Summer months most of the day

�Insulation in the home is decent, Doors are Air-tight

�Windows have all been replaced 3 years ago with very high quality efficient ones

�Tile Roof

�14.5" Cabinet 64,000 Btu Upflow Gas Furnace installed in Garage (Current System)

�2.5 Ton A/C coil indoor & outdoor (Current System)

�Return air duct only downstairs

�Line-set built into the house so we can�t change them. Is flushing the lines Ok/acceptable?????

Our System Requirements/Wants:

�Need some additional cooling Tonnage for those really hot days. (105+Few days a year)

�Variable Speed drive for added comfort for both summer & winter seasons

�17.5" Cabinet for added CFM throughout the home compared to the current furnace

�We don�t feel that a 90+ efficiency is needed due to our short, mild winter season so I think the 80 will work great & still be much more efficient that the current furnace

�Want a good whole-house filtration system that I can clean a few times a year but don�t want to buy filters. Contractor recommended the Honeywell F300 because you never have to buy filters again. Just clean the unit in the dishwasher.

�New system must be very quiet & Quality built in the USA

�Want the system to last for 20-25 years with regular maintence done

�High quality install of the complete system

New American Standard HVAC System Design:

2011 American Standard 3-Ton Cased Indoor Coil:

Platinum Series High Efficiency Coil 4TXCB036BC3HCA (INCLUDED) 2011 American Standard 3-Ton Air Conditioner Coil:

Gold XI Allegiance 15 "SEER" Air Conditioner 4A7A5036E (INCLUDED)

2011 Honeywell Electrostatic Filtration System:

Model F300 ($980 Installed)

2011 American Standard 17.5" Furnace 64,000 BTU Model Options:

Platinum SV Furnace 80% "AFUE" Efficiency Variable Speed Model AUD2B080ACV32A with Vision Pro 8000 Thermostat - $8,636.00 Installed

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations