SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Are you happy with you compact washer?

eleena
11 years ago

Background info:

My first front-loader was a compact one from Sears and I liked it a lot - compared to all previous top-loaders, that is. When we moved into this house 10 years ago, we got a Whirlpool Duet pair and I felt even happier because I could do large loads including king-size comforters. It was only two of us and I did 3-4 loads of laundry once a week on weekends. If I was too busy or out of town, I would even go for 2 weeks and it would all fit in the washer.

However, things have changed since DD was born. I don't think I need to tell you all the glory details about washing diapers and clothes stained in everything imaginable. :-) I also switched to "green" detergents and they are not very good at removing stains, so if I don't wash her clothes the same day, I often cannot get the stains out, even if pre-treating with stain-removers.

In short, I am now doing 1-3 small loads every day. Energy-efficient or not, it feels very wasteful to run a huge machine to wash 2-3 items and it does not do a very good job with small loads anyway.

In addition, our laundry room is very tiny and I have to do a lot of maneuvering when using my huge W&D.

So, I started thinking of switching to a compact 24" washer and moving the dryer to the utility room. BTW, I use the dryer only one-third of the time (mostly, for sheets and blankets) as I use my drying rack the rest of the time.

Will I regret going back to a compact washer? What is your experience?

This post was edited by eleena on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 0:08

Comments (3)