SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajard

Another decision..BOOS butcher block or Boardsmith

ajard
14 years ago

I am going to install approx 31X29x3 inch walnut end grain butcher block on the the end of my peninsula. Also a matching edge grain desk top in walnut

I can get both from John Boos or Boardsmith that I was recommended to on this forum a couple of months back.

Boos is a much bigger company and is a little bit less expensive but not much and has free shipping too! They offer walnut blend edge grain or walnut edge grain for two different looks for my desk top. I thought the walnut blend grain on the kitchen desk top might match the walnut end grain butcher block better in the room.. but the workmanship of boardsmith might be better since he is not mass making boards like Boos... Not sure who to use.... any thoughts or experience

Comments (4)

• busybme
    14 years ago

I have walnut blended edge Boos Block in my laundry room and LOVE it! I purchased it with the 'varnique' finish and it is beautiful - smooth as satin without being shiny.

I also have a walnut blended end grain cutting board from them. It's about 24x18 and I use it in my kitchen. It is not finished with their varnique, of course, since it is for food use. Because of that, it is quite rough and a bit difficult to clean after using.

Boos has an outlet store in Effingham IL and I made arrangements to purchase and pick up my pieces there. Norbert, who runs the outlet, is TKO so he was a blast to work with! And what a nice guy! I would recommend calling him at 217-347-7790 to speak with him directly about your needs. Please tell him that Sandy from Indiana, with the worlds most glamorous laundry room, sent you. : )

Sandy

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy.. can you share any photos of the blended walnut? and or your kitchen butcher block?

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

ajard, please send me a private email as I'd like to let you know my experience.

• busybme
    14 years ago

Here are a few pictures, ajard. The end grain walnut bb is considerably darker than the edge grain countertop, as you can see. When I visited Boos, I found that their cherry end grain was, color-wise, very similar to their walnut edge grain. Hope I haven't confused you more!

Not the best pics but here they are:

The center picture was taken without a flash and is the most real-to-life.

Hope this helps!

Sandy