SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanwabr

I'm still not sure I like my FL washer

beanwabr
15 years ago

I've had my Bosch 300 Nexxt since May 2008; I liked it at first, but lately things are somewhat different. Sure, the clothes aren't tangling like they were at the beginning, but it's a lot shakier and noisier; plus A LOT of stains that used to come out in my old TL aren't coming out these days. My 5 year olds clothes are having to be rewashed and pretreated (something I don't remember having to do before). Nothing is smelling fresh and clean either, just kind of bland, but thankfully, not mildewy. I don't know if it's the detergent (I've experimented with lots), maybe not using enough; I am using the extra rinse, leaving the door open, cleaning monthly with bleach only (no clothes), etc.

Maybe it's just me....although I've spent a lot of time on here reading others posts so I could do my laundry correctly, which seemingly I'm not. Sorry for the vent, but I just feel better getting this out! I'll be ok now. :)

Comments (22)

• bryansda
    15 years ago

Don't feel alone. I've had my front loader for about 6 or 7 years and I'm still not so sure I like mine either. Some things come cleaner in it, but other things don't. Plus I don't feel I've saved anything when it comes to the water and electric. If I had to do it again, and from what I've read here that may be much sooner than with my TL, I'm not sure I'll get another FL.

• bluesbarby
    15 years ago

It might not be the washers but the clothes themselves. A few years ago I started noticing that certains items like my sheets were harder to get clean. My DH sweats at night and his sheets were turning yellow. This has always been a problem but I could always get them clean. I had a TL then. It finally occurred to me that it had something to do with the materials or chemicals they were using in the sheets themselves. The cheap polyester that I used to buy obviously didn't react with my DH's chemicals.
    Several months ago my son gave me a set of FL's. I wasn't in the market for them since my TL's were fine but I never turn down something free. Plus I live in a drought prone area.
    I handle change well luckily. I don't use extra rinses and I don't freak out at how little water is used. Washes average about 53 minutes and dry time is never over 40 minutes. A quick dry is only 25 for a load of jeans. My old TL had a 25 or 30 minute wash and dry time was always a minimum of 90 minutes. I have noticed a slight difference in my whites (whiter), everything else seems the same.
    My utility companies send out quarterly audits comparing usage with previous years. My recent audit showed a slight dip in water and electric. The amazing thing is we have 2 additional adults living with us since last year so this is good.
    My DD's love them because they are quieter and the laundry closet is opposite their rooms. So I'm not sure why yours are shakier and noisier. Are you on a slab? Pedestals? My TL washer used to go out of balance all the time and literally "walk" until the buzzer went off. I spent alot of time rearranging wet clothes. No matter what I put in the FL washer I haven't had that issue.

• Related Discussions

I'm Sure I'm Doing Everything WRONG!

Q

Comments (10)
    To aid in identifying, I made a little diagram of the pot. I spent many hours last night looking at pictures to try to identify things myself. I confess I am too green to have any confidence, though. 5, 6, & 9 are identified. 1 may be a kind of Echeveria? Maybe a Tylecodon? 2 Sempervivum? 3 a type of Haworthia? 4 Aeonium? I do have more close-up pictures of the individual plants, if that would be of any help. And not to be pushy, but keep in mind that I'd love to get ideas on which members of my collection I can successfully grow together. If I can just run with what I think I like together visually, great. But I'm receptive to other concerns. It may take a while to get the whole collection up here. I have some plants that had labels, but I want to try to verify the labels first.
    ...See More

I hope I'm making a good choice (FL washer)

Q

Comments (18)
    You do realize that the Bravos have electronic boards in them too don't you? I'm curious about your board problems before. I don't suppose you have a good surge protector on there? I'm wondering if you are having some surge issues. In fairness, yes, the lid and such is plastic on the F&P. But what's wrong with that? It won't rust! F&P is known for high quality construction where it counts. The early Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos had big issues with rusting on the metal components. I'm thinking it might be resolved since I don't hear much on it anymore but a plastic lid can't rust. F&P have very few moving parts and I'm told they're pretty good units for a DIYer to repair. There's not a lot of units that don't use electronic components. Just be sure you know what you're getting. Also be aware that a C/O/B claim of 4.7 cf capacity is misleading. They don't wash 4.7 cf worth of laundry. That's an (upward) adjusted figure to "compensate" for the lack of an agitator to "compare" washers. I believe the capacity of a C/O/B is about 3.8 cf IIRC. Someone else could probably give more detail on it. That does sound like a heckuva good price on that washer though.
    ...See More

Blasphemy I'm sure, but I don't like the sink grid

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm kind of lukewarm on mine. If I just have a few things to hand wash (like my Wusthof knives which aren't supposed to go in the DW), I feel like I have to fill it up more than necessary just to get the water above the grid. (So I wait until I have a pot or something to hand wash.) I also find that I'm cleaning the bottom of the sink less often. I like the flat grid better than the one with sides (I have a double bowl), because the flat one I can put in the DW. For the one with sides, the DW has to be fairly empty on the bottom rack for it to fit. And the bottom of my SS sink is scratched despite having the protection of the grid, so it's not one of my favorite things. On the plus side, I do like that plates and cutting boards can stand on their sides for rinsing.
    ...See More

I'm sure glad I'm not back in Ohio!

Q

Comments (10)
    Wait until you've gone through a plague of locusts. I've lived through a few 17 year cicada hatches in my lifetime. Not as bad as some of you have described but the sound of them singing was deafening some nights. Still, that was part of growing up in the South so we never knew any different. Still, the cicadas didn't really bother plants, to my knowledge. It was the grasshopper (locust) hatchouts that did that. Rhonda, I can't believe what you're saying about the mayflies and the plows. Wow. And I thought FL had bug problems! The closest I've seen to that is when we had a bad red tide and they had to bring in front end loaders to get all the dead fish and seaweed off the beaches.
    ...See More
  • cynic
    15 years ago

Shakier is a good clue. It probably needs to be leveled. This can impact several different things. Of course, noisier, but also it can affect spin speed, which will affect water and dirt extraction and of course drying time.

Are you using the right cycle for the stain? Temperature? You say you've tried different detergents but did you spend enough time to learn how much to use for optimal performance in your conditions?

Smelling fresh and clean can just be you. Smelling "bland" sounds like it's clean to me. Clothes do not naturally smell like "April Fresh", "Mountain Meadows", "Floral Foyer" or "Sunny Citrus". Maybe they're clean and you're looking for residue from detergent or softener? I believe in washing clothes when they smell. I don't want them to smell out of the wash. But some want the chemical smell in their clothes.

I've never had a front loader but have come to the conclusion that there's a definite learning curve to it to get maximum benefit. Just like it's much different driving a subcompact than a gargantuan SUV. Don't give up. It's probably a great machine just needing you to learn to make use of its features.

• jsfox
    15 years ago

Something else to keep in mind. FL's are much easier on clothes than TL's. Your clothes won't wear out as fast, will last longer, and will look better for longer.

• beanwabr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm sure I still have a lot to learn about this machine and do reference the manual often.

Yesterday, I tried using the permanent press wash cycle for the first time; I guess it just washes (and rinses?) differently, but they were still pretty wet when I put them in the dryer...and...it took a little over an hour to get them dry! Usually, it's 30-45 minutes when I use the cotton cycle (which is what I've always used).

Two of my boys' shirts have small holes that didn't used to be there but seem to develop a lot lately and I have heard that FL are gentler on clothes, so I don't know if the machine is the cause.

I use hot, bleach water for towels; but things like t-shirts and undies have a yellow tint to them, which seems to get worse the more I wash them; and this with the occasional baking soda or Borax being used as well (is that too much stuff to have in?). Maybe my water is too hard, IDK.

I perspire/sweat bunches and there are a lot of my tops that do still have somewhat of an 'underarm' scent to them even after I've washed and dried and they are supposedly clean. Maybe I need new clothes!?!

And, when I say shakier, the machine itself doesn't move, but my bed, dresser handles, etc (in other parts of our mobile home---no pedestals are being used by the way) is what lightly shakes during the spin cycle (you can always tell). Lately also, if I'm in there and it's getting ready to spin, there is this noise (don't know how to describe), so I hope that something isn't getting ready to tear up on it.

• mark40511
    15 years ago

When I can wash a load of clothes in TIDE HE (scented) and not smell ANYTHING on the clothes if I use extra rinse. I always remember smelling the perfume smell on clothes when using a TL washer even with extra rinse.. The one exception is when I use "Spray n Wash" (shew) talk about strong. If I pre-treat a spot I can still smell it after the wash where I spot treated! I'm pretty sure though this would happen in a TL as well...I do notice stains not coming out in my FL washer if I don't pre treat certain types of stains. If I do forget to pre treat, the stain is so faded it's barely visible. This was never the case in a TL washer...The stain was much more visible after a TL wash...Can't explain what's going on with your FL washer. A lot of the TL washers you buy now will not fill to the TOP, even with full selected they will fill 3/4 full. I guess manufacturers are trying to cut back on water usage even with TL washers.

• housefairy
    15 years ago

You may need to re-level your washer. But since you have had it since May, I would go ahead and pull out the dryer and clean the vent. Call it early spring cleaning. Your loads could also be taking longer because of lint caught inside the vent tube.

If the washer is not level it's not going to spin the water. It will keep getting unbalanced and slow down and try to readjust. Thus your clothes will come out too wet.

As far as the vibrations, can someone get underneath your mobile and put a jack support system under the washer unit, to give it more stability?

Lastly, small boys equals lots of dirt. You may just need to switch detergents or up the dosage. Also Oxi-clean or Clorox II, in the hottest water the garment can take, may help with the yellow in your clothes.

• cynic
    15 years ago

A good soaking in Borax or Oxiclean could help with the whites too. What kind of detergent are you using? You're not the first to complain about clothes still having body odors after being washed in a front loader. That's not right. And I can imagine the frustration. Does your machine have a built in heater to raise the temp of the water? Might be a good idea to get a small box or bottle of Tide or Cheer (I'd get the unscented so you can tell if the smell is coming out) and see if that helps. Both of these have enzymes. Wisk used to be very good but I haven't used it in decades and now that it's been sold, I'm not sure if it's even the same formula. Some like Charlie's Soap but they refuse to sell small amounts. There are some similar ones like Sport Wash and Walmart has a Great Value brand of laundry detergent with enzymes that's not outrageously priced. Could be a good idea to survey your neighbors' wash habits, detergents, machines, and the like to see if that could shed any light on your issues.

The vibration is being transferred through the structure. Not sure what you can really do about it. Depending on the structure under the floor, possibly you could put down some 1" plywood (maybe a double layer) and securely fasten it to the home structure to minimize the vibration. You're experiencing the same issues many people find with second floor installations.

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Regardless of whether I'm using a FL or a TL, with two boys active in sports, I use name-brand detergent, STPP, pretreat with Shout, and add oxy-clean or bleach to their clothes. A FL doesn't magically get out ground in dirt or pizza stains or any of the many other stains kids get without some help. I also use warm or hot water, especially on their jeans with dirt and grass stains. We have red clay in our dirt which is next to impossible to get out sometimes, but pretreating and using additives ususally does the trick.

• cuffs054
    15 years ago

I gave up on the FL and went back to TL. I am pleased with the change. The clothes in my FL just weren't smelling clean anymore and bath towels just didn't seem to last for more than one use and then smell moldy. I am not having that problem with the new TL.

• curiousshopper
    15 years ago

I spent a year with a Kenmore FL, hated it, and went back to a top loader and couldn't be happier with my decision.

In spite of all the theoretical benefits, I found the FL took forever, cleaning was mediocre, and was no more gentle than my old top loader.

I tried everything and eventually concluded that if I used enough detergent to clean satisfactorily that the machine didn't rinse it out well. And then I had to run ANOTHER rinse and spin. At that rate I'd NEVER get the laundry done.

My neighbor has a old-style Maytag Neptune she is happy with. The difference is that her Maytag uses a lot more water than mine ever did. And if I remember the first Neptunes won awards for efficiency. But they've taken efficiency too far for me now.

I expected a $1500 washer to make my life easier and it certainly did not.

• homeowner6528
    15 years ago

For cuffs054:
    As to the mildew smell - did you keep your washer doors closed all the time - after using the washer??? If you did, the problem might be the the lack of circulation in the washer (or dryer) might be allowing the "mold" and "mildew" to grow in the tub area. Just speculating, but was told by a Whirlpool representative that this was a problem in all FL machines.

This CAN be a problem in a TL machine as well-I've been told.

Let me know what you think. Please

• cynic
    15 years ago

This CAN be a problem in a TL machine as well-I've been told.
    Yes, it "can", however you need to understand the major difference is that a front loader by design MUST be watertight, thus, pretty much air-tight too. A top loader lid doesn't seal. It is a cover and that's all. Even closed, virtually all top loaders will get air circulation if the air is moving in the room which of course is not true with a front loader.

I always left the lid on my top loader open when not in use. I did it simply because then I could take a glance at it and if the lid was down, I knew I had something in it that needed to go to the dryer. Could be a day or two later. There is another issue many claim is a problem with a front loader. If you leave clothes in there. I don't monitor my washer too closely so it can go hours and occasionally a day or two. Now and then I do a rinse & spin if there's a bit of a sour smell from sitting too long, but that's rare.

Top loaders and front loaders are different and need different operation. It's just the way it is.

• cuffs054
    15 years ago

homeowner, yes I left the door open on the FL. I could run a clean cycle with Cascade and it would be ok for a while and then come back.

• bluesbarby
    15 years ago

Did you have a TL before in the mobile home? My cousin lives in a mobile home with a TL and when she does laundry the whole house shakes. It's normal.

• thethinker
    15 years ago

Mobile homes are have notoriously bad foundations. The slightest vibration will cause sympathetic vibrations through the steel frame. Make sure your machine is properly balanced, but even then you may still have vibrations being transmitted. Have you had your water hardness tested? Since the FL's use less water then TL's you might have more of a problem with iron or other hardness problems causing yellowing. I have had a FL now for almost 5 years and have never noticed a problem with yellowing or destruction of clothes. The smell you have is caused by bacteria growing on the residue in the washer. Clean out the pump filter and then perform several cleanings with either dish washer detergent or use a commercial product for that purpose called Affresh. Go to www.affresh.com for the different products. Bleach alone will not cure your problem (I've tried it). The best thing anyone with a new FL can do is to make sure and read the owner's/operator's manual and follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. I know, I didn't with my first washer and I had problems. The only reason I got a new FL is that we sold our home and the washer and dryer stayed behind.

• jean222
    15 years ago

I also find that bath towels begin to smell after just one or two uses. My FL door is always open when not in use and I run an extra rinse on every load. My theory is that front loaders just don't use enough water to dilute odors.

• kendog2
    15 years ago

I don't have a front-load washer but I know a trick for getting rid of mildew odor in towels and wash cloths or dish rags. Soak them in a bucket of ammonia and water solution. For perspiration odor, soak in a solution of vinegar and water. You can also spray this solution on your armpits after you shower. Let it dry. Then use antiperspirant. Your armpits will not smell nearly as bad.

• looser
    15 years ago

Funny, but we experienced the exact opposite of some posters here. With our crappy TL, towels would smell musty after the first use. I guess they were never getting really clean and the dryer sheets just masked the smell.
    Our FL (Bosch Nexxt 500plus) gets everything clean and smelling neutral. We don't use FS or dryer sheets and we don't have any residual smells when we use the Sears powdered detergent. Liquid detergents leave a slight smell, but all body odors, smoke, sour or musty smells come out either way. We use our towels for a week and even then they don't smell. If they do, it is from bodywash, shampoo or something like that.
    I don't even need to use the sanitary cycle, most of the time I wash them at just 120 degrees. No problems with smells whatsoever.
    The only thing that can be tricky to get out are grease stains. They need pretreatment, but we did that with the TL as well...

• claybabe
    15 years ago

I'm hoping to switch to a FL when the current set wears out so I can stack (new laundry area is very tight!). I've been reading about them for several years on this forum, and just don't understand why there is such a mixed reaction: Are there some machines (within the same brand) that just don't wash as well? Is the FL actually difficult to use? Are the suggestions above likely to help? What's the scoop?

I really really really could use the space, but not if my clothes won't get clean.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

Soaking white clothes in Borax can really help with stains/yellowing.

Adding baking soda to a load of laundry can really help to take out odors - doesn't matter what kind. When I wash really grungy guys' clothes, I put a cup of baking soda in the washing machine drum before adding the clothes, use the hottest water which is appropriate for that fabric, and let the clothes soak at least a few hours, sometimes overnight, before completing the wash cycle.

Sniff them before putting into the dryer. If you smell even a whiff of odor, DO NOT put them into the dryer, as the heat will only 'set' the odor so that it will be virtually impossible to get out later (ditto stains).

Also - you may want to consider drying them outside (weather permitting) or in the house (can hang them from a shower curtain rod). Drying outside will really give them a fresh scent.

• looser
    15 years ago

claybabe,
    I would say go for a stacking FL set. If you are willing to change a few laundry habits and learn how to use a FL, you won't have any problems getting clothes clean. The fact that you are reading and posting here shows that you are open to suggestions and tipps, so I think you are a great candidate to make the switch.

I grew up in Germany where TL with agitators don't even exist. When I moved here, I had the "privilege" to use a TL for a few years. The only thing I liked about them is how fast they finished a load. But that was about it...they just didn't clean well, tore several strings out of pants and shirts, ruined some bras...and I just hated the amount of water and detergents/additives needed to do a load of laundry.

A typical load with my FL takes about an hour. The clothes come out clean and without any nasty odors. An extra rinse would add about 15 minutes, but is hardly ever needed/used. Some posters say that an extra rinse negates any water savings, but that is far from the truth. It takes about 4 gallons which adds up to a total of 18 gallons per load. A TL uses almost 25 gallons per fill which is 50 gallons if you do just one rinse!

I think the mixed reviews for FLs are mainly due to user errors. Using too much detergent and liquid fabric softener is probably the most common mistake which leads to nasty buildup and musty smells. My washer is 18 months old now and doesn't have the slightest hint of mold. I don't do clean washer cycles or any extra maintenance. I just leave the door open and use hot cycles about once a week. Couldn't be happier with it. Our water usage in the winter is between 2000 and 3000 gallons per month for a household of three. That equals the city's minimum usage!

Sorry for the long post. I hope it helps!