SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tblmom

HELP!!! White/light or black countertops with white cabinets?

tblmom
11 years ago

I will be renovating the small kitchen in our new home (1940's brick colonial) and my husband and I can not decide on a countertop color for our pue white, shaker style cabinets. We are knocking down the dining room wall and adding a peninsula. The dining room is currently a light olive/avocado green, which we are okay with and don't feel like re-painting. So that same color will be extended into the kitchen. Our trim is white, floors are a medium brown wood, I think it's oak.

We like the look of both the white carrara marble and the dark/black countertops. But we wouldn't actually use the marble due to the maintenance (2 young kids and grandparents over the house all the time who use the kitchen a lot).

We've decided that we would be fine with either color. Whenever we see a white kitchen we like, we're set on the all white...but as soon as we see a kitchen we like with black countertops, we go back to the black. Now it's a matter of choosing one and sticking with it!!!

Is a white quartz/quartzite/granite pretty much the same in terms of maintenance when compared with a black/dark granite? Which color would be more "universal" in terms of re-sale?

Comments (24)