SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjb56houtx

3 ton hvac replacement unit - houston, tx

cjb56houtx
14 years ago

The Lennox HS14 411U-2P Condenser AC unit has just died. I am currently needing / shopping a replacement of the whole system - Condenser, Air Handler , Heating unit.... Coil had a slow leak too..Its time. I believe I had a 3 ton 2 speed condenser with horizontal AH - 3 ton evap unit w heat strip.

Coil C15-900V-1

Blower B10-41-1P

Heat strip ECB10-41-471-1P

- all Electric Townhome. NO Gas

Townhome has a northwest exposure with approximately 120 sq feet of windows on the front wall - 1/2 of that is single pane glass. This living area 550 sq ft with very high ceilings & loft - 20+ feet - is about 12,000 cu ft of space. 2 Ceiling fans running to circulate the air. In the summer the windows radiate a lot of heat as the sun hits them and I'm working on getting all the windows double pane, Low E argon filled, etc. Not yet though. The winter is the opposite. I use the heat sparingly with the fireplace. Houston hardly gets a freeze..

Houston right now in June is high 90's with 90% + humidity located about 60 miles inland from the gulf of Mexico - so im not near salt water. We are always very humid and I use a 60 pt /day dehumidifier in the main room to cut the humidity couple of hours a day and find that it does make the inside dry so I can cut the A/C cooling use - Probably why the unit lasted as long as it did. . I have used a Honeywell setback thermostat to control the Main A/C unit as well fro 25 years. Makes a difference.

I believe the 3 ton unit did its job and I recognize i'm conservative in its use.

I need some guidance on a replacement unit - By the way the Condenser is on the roof and a crane is needed to place it.

I have quotes on the following at this point

1. 3 ton Trane XL16i r-410 system

Condenser 4TTX6036C1

Variable Speed Air Handler 4TEE3C05A1

Heat strip

Trane Touch screen Thermostat

Price $8790 less $400rebate - Qualifies for tax credit

Warranty 10yr compressor, 10yr coil, 2 yr labor w option to extend warranty thru registration

Comments - Clean existing refrigerant r22 lines for use w new refrigerant

2. 3 Ton Amana R-410 System 16 seer System

2 speed compressor ASX16036 - $4613

Air Handler ARUF364216 w 10KW Heat strip- $3267

No thermostat included

1 yr Parts & Labor - 10 yr Parts

Lifetime Compressor Warranty

20% discount - $7416.00

3.America Standard

1 3 ton American Standard 16 seer Communicating variable Speed system complete install - $10276.00

No other details..

I like the 2 speed compressor idea since the unit I am replacing was a 2 stage unit and believe it haeps keep the bills down..- looking for a good value - Not necessarily needing the Tax credit as I have windows to deal with where that will come in handy. I'd like to have an efficient unit but not so much as to be very high in price. 15-16 SEER Feels right good EER too - Its hard to find wear ratings on these systems and I find myself unable to choose intelligently on what is presented since I want the unit to last. The Lennox dealer started at about $10,000 and has not presented any details on his line.

Who makes a good unit? In reading this Forum looks like Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Amana. Servicemen do have their preferences and they know what they are talking about i believe..

As I said I would like some guidance with sepcific condenser, Air Handler, Heat strip recomendations so I can get quotes apples with apples and feel I got a good buy for the $$.

Appreciate your comments and guidance..Thank you in advance..

signed

"Sweating in Houston"

Comments (10)