SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Malware experts.com?

Kathsgrdn
12 years ago

Has anyone dealt with them before? Are the a good company? I went to their website and tried to get rid of a virus I have but it didn't work. Called them and the guy seemed nice at first, told me I had a really bad form of the virus: XP Antivirus 2012 and needed to have an expert fix it. Told me to take it to a level 3 technician at Best Buys or other major computer place. Then went on to tell me that was going to cost me $240 and take 5-however many days or they could fix it in 2 hours for $100. I started to give him my info over the phone and something told me not to. He got a little pushy at the end and I didn't like that.

Anyone ever deal with them? Can I trust them? I posted on the computer forum about my problem but only one person posted a reply and I don't understand what he was saying. I've tried using my Malwarebytes but it's being blocked. Then downloaded computer Dr. but it's saying there is nothing there...but wants me to download an update...which is being blocked by the virus.

Comments (26)

• kacram
    12 years ago

Kathy, that guy is saying to go to programs/accessories/tools and then click on system restore and pick a time before that program was installed to have your computer restored back to that date, say 12/25 and maybe that will get rid of the program. It's always worth the try! good luck
    from kat
    an expert in nothing! lol

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I have used whatthetech.com with excellent results. Twice they have helped me clear up some nasty infections without having to scrub my machine entirely. At the end they give you good instructions on how to avoid problems in the future. It was time consuming and I had to download various programs and run them and post logs back on the forum but they gave me step by step instructions. It is a free forum but you can make a goodwill contribution and they deserve a huge one in my opinion. Go to their Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal forum and read the instructions.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

listen you don't need to do that if you come to computer help forum here we can tell you how to do it and exactly where to go to get expert help free.
    I will do that for you now, I am also on this forum go here to this link, register, post your info about what is on your computer, do not follow the instructions on any other post except what is given to you there. The team will guide you through step by step running scans and helping you fully clean it out all FREE and done by the pros that do this every day, most are microsoft MVPs. If you need help just tell me. There are other pro help forums but I always recommend this one because of how well they treat people and how easy they make it on you.

this link
    Analysis and Malware Removal

never trust any site or ad with out coming over to computer help forum and asking us there, we know the safe ones.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I am sorry I had not seen your post on computer forum, I did answer you there too.

this is a very bad infection we have had several this week hit by this one, this is one you will need the pro help forums to get you running the proper scans to be able to get started and clean this one out.

when you go to the other forum I am sending you to you will see other posts with the exact same infection you have do NOT follow their directions each pc must be treated individually. Our team there is from all around the world so just be patient we all volunteer.

Never buy any program or go with any clean up site with out asking because that is how many people get infected in the first place by the scare ware companies then they end up with your credit card info on top of it all.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Sometimes you have to wait a day or so on the Computer Forum, but they will come thru. Do what ravencajun recommends. There are others that are very good also.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, thanks for all the replies, went on other sites and found one that I was able to download a program that blocked the virus so I could then download another program to scan my computer and get rid of it. I posted this on the computer forum too.

I think it's fixed, I hope. I haven't seen it pop up since I blocked it with the rkill download thing so I'm hoping it's gone for good. I didn't come back on here so didn't see anyone's post until now because I was afraid I would crash my computer, so just let the scan run, which took hours!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

in case you do not see the post at CH
    can you please post a link to the program you used that you are calling computer doctor which you paid for with your credit card, there are several with names similar to that, which are in fact rogue, not legit. It is very important to find out which you used because your credit card may be in jeopardy if it is one of these that you used.

do not use it for transactions till you go to LzD forum I linked to and have them run a scan for you to make sure it is clean totally. This is a very difficult one to fully remove rkill does not remove it all it does is stop the processes on it to try to allow cleaning.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, it's called Spyware Doctor, not Computer Doctor. My computer is running really slow.

• socks
    12 years ago

I'll second Raven's referral to Landzdown. She referred me there once, and Corine (is that you Raven?) spent days with me patiently helping me work through the problem. It was a real "act of faith," but in the end I got to know my computer a lot better, and it has run just fine since then (knock wood).

Here is a link that might be useful: Landzdown

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Socks, that's actually the site where I got instructions on the Rkill download...there's a post there from someone else who had the same virus.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

that is the problem kathsgrdn that is why we specifically have it posted on the site as well as I warn never to use anyone elses instructions you MUST follow only the ones given for you specifically. If you will just go there as socks12345 did we will help you step by step just like we have done for her and many many others from here. Please do this for yourself and you safety this infection comes with a rootkit this is very dangerous, what you have done thus far has NOT removed that aspect of the infection. Following partial instructions can actually end up crippling a pc if it was not written for that pc.

The team at lzd is exceptional will be very easy on you and lead you hand in hand step by step.

You saw others there with this infection yes in fact this week I have sent 3 others from GW to LzD for us to clean up with this very same infection, it is spreading like wild fire.

To every one reading if you have not updated everything on your pc including your windows updates please do this now, go here to secunia run the scan and it will tell you what need to be updated on your pc, when these items are not updated it leaves open vulnerabilities that these infections can access your pc while simply surfing and viewing webpages.
    Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)
    this free scanner is online and will scan your pc and then tell you exactly what needs to be updated and will have the link to the update. It is so important to keep your flash, java, and adobe and things like that updated as soon as they put out a new patch. and of course do all critical windows updates.

• deborah_ps
    12 years ago

I'm another who got help on the Computer forum...and let me tell you, they know their stuff. All volunteer, amazing isn't it?
    A big hip hip hurrah for them!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It seems to be gone. But, I am trying to post on that site but now have to wait for them to send me an e-mail so I can confirm it so I can post there.

• socks
    12 years ago

They are very patient there too. They don't expect you to be a computer whiz. If you were a whiz you'd fix it yourself, right?! If you don't understand or know where something is, just say so and they can help.

• kathy_
    12 years ago

The worst infection I had - I went to Trend Micro and analyzed the programs I had in my computer. You print out a graph of your programs and then check what should be deleted.
    I just had an NBC - 7 pop-up for a day (my eyes bug when I get a pop-up). Ran Malwarebytes.com twice and added Adguard from CNET and so far so good.
    I hope whoever makes these things burn in .....

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

still no e-mail from them to confirm it so don't know if I'm going to get to post a question there.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Let me go check for you. Since we all volunteer at so many forums it sometimes takes a bit to get around, be patient, we will get you in.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

are you using the same user name there?

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, but the still haven't sent me an e-mail asking me to verify my e-mail address. I guess that's what they are waiting for? It wouldn't let me log in after I registered and most websites send you an e-mail that you respond to so they know it's good.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

we have sent the email just checked look in your spam filter to see if it possibly went there, we have gone ahead and manually activated so just look for that email it has been sent, we do see your info.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help Ravencajun, did check my spam folder, no e-mail. If it's been activated then I'll try again. Have to work the next three days so may not do anything till Sunday night or Monday when I'm off.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Ok please let me know if I can help in some way.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted on the other website, thanks for your help. I hope I was clear about what I did.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Great I see you made it in , just take it step by step, ask if you need help.
    The team at lzd has handled lots of these, you are in good hands.

• User
    12 years ago

I am working on an Asus, Windows 7 PC. One year old
    Problem: I lost suitable graphic devices. Here is how I did it.

I have been working thru the night with no problems.
    I read the advice Raven gave to someone about using Secunia and checked out my system and they found some vulnerabilities - Adobe and some Microsoft critical updates. I wanted the updates and got them. It was also suggested that I get rid of Quicktime which I thought I had. So , I did.
    Afterwards, things looked good and I continued my break some more to play solitare. The icon is on my task bar. I clicked on the picture and got

"No suitable graphics devices found."

This appears to be true of all my games that came with Microsoft.

I got out my Seagate Go Flex and thought I could get it off there. Wanted to first use Kaspersky to assure it was safe. 20 minutes into the check I got a notice to turn the computer off - serious words (that blinded my brain)- if this is the first command to reboot then I should do it and I did.
    Things seem in order except the message of "not suitable graphics devices found." I decided to restore back 1 1/2 hours which took out only a critical Microsoft update (KB2588542)
    Don't know how I lost the devices but quite sure it is user error. Any thoughts?

PS: Kept getting a message to use Uniblue. I didn't but looked it up it is partnered with Microsoft someway but the reviews that looked honest said to stay away from it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

ellie, I do not recommend uniblue. Some updates from various companies like Adobe will have an area in the update that asks you if you want to also install some un-needed thing usually toolbars like the ask toolbar, that is why it is so important to read each screen that comes up with any download and install and be sure you un-check any of those extras you do not want or need, companies do it because they make a little extra money for it, even though it sure is not to our best interest.

Some times a microsoft update can cause a problem to can happen to one person sometimes many it depends on what is on their system that conflicted with the update. So it could well be that particular microsoft update did not work well with your system.

So once you did the system restore and got rid of that microsoft update you are no longer having the graphics device message?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations