SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimc_vt

The cost of fuel oil versus????

jimc_vt
15 years ago

Hello all, As the winter approaches I'm trying to find a better way to heat my home/domestic water (less expensive)....

I heat my home(2000 s.f.) with a Ford(20 years old) oil fired boiler and the domestic water is also heated this way (on demand per se.,no storage tank)

My current price on fuel oil is $4.53 a gallon and sure to go up (in 1989 ,I pd,.77 cents a gallon :o( .

Natural gas is at the top of the street ,but not enough neighbors want to "hook up" so I can't get natural gas yet ...I also have a 300 pound L.P. tank that the dryer and cook stove run off ,L.P. cost me $4.28 a gallon on last fill up...

I also have an electric fireplace that I'm thinking of using in the living room(it's currenty downstairs in the master bedroom ) to offset the heating of the upstairs living space with ...as I believe it will be cheaper to heat with electricity versus oil ...

I have never liked the On demand part of my domestic hot water thru the oil fired furnace ,and my thoughts are to install an electric hot water tank ,so I heat the domestic hot water with electricity and not fuel oil ....fuel oil will be only for heating the house .....I have looked at the on demand electric water heaters ,but just don't know much about them ,I could go on demand with L.P. but I don't really see any cost savings there .....I don't burn wood,or pellets or anything else taht requires lugging, as lugging stuff to burn in just not up my aisle ....nor my wifes...

Any and all thought would be appreciated ,there are 4 of us living here ,the house is well insulated (I did it my self) ...Thanks Jim

Comments (10)