SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarose_gw

Lennox vs. Trane vs. Rudd

sarose
15 years ago

Help me choose; I need opinions from people more knowledable than me. I finally have my bids for replacing my central air unit and furnace. See link to previous post below.

San Antonio is a high humidity area, but we still have clean air and get good summer southern breezes from the Gulf of Mexico. Right now we are in the low 90s, but will hit high 90s and low 100s in late June and August. An above normal hot summer has been predicted. My house is built on a concrete slab with all duct work located in the attic, as is typical of most homes built here since WWII. The compressor sits on a concrete pad located outside the bedroom windows, and can sometimes be heard when it is running.

Both local contractors are trained and certified by the local electric company (CPS) to make duct inspections and repairs. Both have stellar BBB recommendations and are top rated by RUUD, Lennox, and Trane. The company that carries Lennox and Trane will include one year free service and offers 9 month interest free financing. RUUD contractor includes a 2 year service agreement and 12 month interest free financing. Although I have the money in saving to pay for these units outright, I like the idea of allowing it a longer time to earn more interest.

Below are the recommendations. I welcome feedback as I'd like to make a decision over the weekend.

Lennox--Furnace for all systems would be Lennox signature G60v. The AC systems recommended are 1) XC14 with variable speed (41Q-A, 16 SEER), 2 yrs parts & labor warranty--$7183 before rebates; $6683 after rebates from CPS or Lennox; 2) XC 15 with variable speed (41Q-A, 16 SEER), 10 yrs parts & labor warranty--$7818 before rebates; $7168 after CPS and Lennox rebates; 3) XC16-03b with variable speed (CX34-38Am 15.5 (SEER), 5 year parts & labor warranty--$7500 without rebates; $6765 after rebates from Lennox and CPS.

Trane--Furnance is their upper end furnace for all units. The AC recommendations are 1) XR 13 with variable speed RYRSP/C (41Q-A, 14 SEER) $7116, no rebates; 2) XL15 with variable speed, (41Q-A,15 SEER) with 10 yr parts & labor warranty.

Both the Lennox and Trane can add a 4" Honeywell F100 filter for an additional $150..

RUUD--Furnace is a 70,000 BTU, Ultra Series Model UBPRO7#

The AC options are 1) RUUD, 16 SEER, Ultra Model UARL-JEZ with a 4 ton evaporat. coil (Modl UGPRO7E)and a 3 ton condensor , with a 10 yr. warranty of parts & labor; $6946 before rebates; $6196 after rebates. 2) 14 SEEr 3 ton condenser/coil for $5206; no rebates available. Both units use a 1" filter base. I don't know if the 4" is available as I forgot to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post

Comments (11)