SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msgenie516

Found Omo, Unox, Rinso, Ariel OxiAzul Max at Mexican Supermarket

msgenie516
17 years ago

Hi,

I discovered a wonderful Mexican/Central and South American/International (European products from Spain and Portugal) supermarket only about six miles from my home! I couldnÂt wait to check out the detergent aisle and this is what I foundÂ

Of course, there was Ariel OxiAzul powder but there was also Ariel OxiAzul Max powder (whatever that means) and Ariel Hidroactivo Liquid. Lacking was Ariel Bajaespuma, the one that seems to be so elusive. I also found the following Rinso powders: Rinso Multiactivo, Rinso Intelligent, and Rinso Intelligent Limon. Some others that were there are Omo and Unox (both powders).

I have read several posts about Ariel products but does anyone know what the Ariel OxiAzul Max is? Also, I am not familiar with the Rinso products or the Omo and Unox detergents. Has anyone tried them? I did purchase a small bag of the Unox and it is made by Unilever and is a product of El Salvador. The ingredients (it does contain phosphates) are listed as followsÂ

Alkyl benzene, sodium sulphonate, sodium tripoliphosphate, coactivo cationico, enzymes, sodium carbonate, sodium silicate, SCMC, sodium perborate, tetra acetil, etilem diamina, colorants and perfume.

These were the ingredients listed on the applied sticker that was supposedly in English (although some of them sound Spanish to me). I could barely understand anything else on the package as it was all printed in Spanish. I have yet to try it but I think I will use just a little and see what happens.

My "old favorites" are Sears Ultra Plus powder (I find it to be the lowest sudsing of all), Tide HE liquid, and Tide HE powder but I like to experiment a little (makes washing a bit more fun!) and I would love to hear any comments about these products.

By the way, exploring this supermarket was an exciting adventure! It is as large as any medium size regular supermarket and they had so many Old World and Hispanic products that I have never seen elsewhere and never heard of before (including highly unusual cuts of meat).

So thanks in advance for any infoÂit will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    17 years ago

If you want to know what the packaging says post it and I'll try to translate.

I used to use Ariel all the time in Mexico. It was just ... detergent... pretty good detergent - but I'm curious, why is everyone on this forum so hyped up about Ariel? Was I using a super premium super special detergent without knowing it?

What makes it so special?

• msgenie516
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,

I believe most of the excitement generated by Mexican Ariel is that it contains phosphates, which are not in U.S. manufactured detergents. Phosphates are great at lifting soils from laundry. It seems it is also one of the most widely available Mexican detergents, so that would account for so many people using it.

Thank you for the offer to translate but I figured out the most important thing, how much to use. It says to use "una taza" for a machine and I know thatÂs one cup. I will have to use quite a bit less for my FL, but IÂll give it a try.

Thanks for responding!

• weedly
    17 years ago

Bajaespuma (low sudsing) is available at most Mexican supermarkets in Mexico. Cross the border and there you are. Many Mexican towns now have Wal-Marts, and they carry the full line.

BTW, Ariel products are available in Germany in many formulations. It seems to me, however, that most laundry soap is regional. For example, Persil is available here in most any formulation, but it is not made by Unilever as I believe it is in the UK. It is made by Henkel, but it all the familiar varieties such as Megaperls (which are more expensive than regular Persil powder).

Another thing I've notice about the EU, at least in Germany, is that many more national products are available at their large stores. For example, if you go to buy an alarm clock, there is no shortage of German alarm clocks on the shelves. In the states, you'd go nuts trying to find one not made in China.

Of course, their stuff is a little more expensive, and they pay half their salaries in taxes and on top of that, they have a %19 value added tax. Yikes! For large purchases, we can bow out of the VAT (we don't use their healthcare, etc) which equates to a nearly 20% price savings.

Another thing that's going on right now is Persil is celebrating 100 years in Germany with nostalgic tins. The tins are a premium that come with 200 grams of Persil. Collect all four!

Here is a link that might be useful: Henkel GMBH

• msgenie516
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi weedly,

Thanks for all the interesting information! Unfortunately, crossing the border is not a simple thing for me as I am in New York. Although it doesnÂt sound like a bad idea to go to Mexico with all of the cold weather weÂre having!

Thanks again!

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    17 years ago

Found the Ariel OxiAzul Max website - it says it gets out even deep grease stains - keeps whites whiter colors more brilliant etc etc. Comes in lots of different flavors- regular - low suds (espuma controlada)- different aromas - whitening - for colors - with softener.

Now you've got me curious, msgenie. I'm also in the NY area - I think I take a ride to Mi Bandera in Union City, NJ. See if they have anything there. I'll let you know.

• msgenie516
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,

I'll have to check out that website about the Ariel OxiAzul Max, sounds interesting!

Since you are also in the New York area, you might find one of those stores that I went to near you. It is a chain and it is called Compare Foods. I have added the link to their website below. If you click on "Stores" on the top of the page, you will see all of their locations. I go to the one in Farmingville.

I'll be anxious to hear what you find! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Foods

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    17 years ago

Here's the website - it's in Spanish.

I'm on the other side of the Hudson - I'll let you know what I find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Club Max de Ariel

• bbqchief
    17 years ago

Ariel = Tide in other countries (the Tide name is not used internationally by P&G -- it is simply called "Ariel" in most of the world).

And yes, Mexican Ariel does have phosphate (US products do not due to phosphate bans imposed upon manufacturers in the 1970's).

So, you must ask yourself if the extra cleaning boost is worth damaging the environment.

BTW -- If you're hell bent on using phosphate containg detergents, here's a little "dirty" secret of the market......

Simply buy either "Calgon water softener" from your local store and use a bit with each load -- this is just phosphate, but since it's a "water softener" and not a cleaning product, that's okay. BTW -- you must use it WITH a detergent (such as Tide) since it has no detergency on its own, only chelating ability (from the phosphate). Alternatively, just use TSP (Trisodium Polyphosphate) from your local hardware store (sold in paint/wallpaper sections) to achieve the same result.