SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris2009_gw

Natural Maple cabinets - aging, fading and glaze...help!

chris2009
15 years ago

Great board - the info I have found here has been helpful in planning my kitchen redo. I am about to take advantage of a sale on either American Woodmark or Shanendoah cabinets, and need some advice.

My wife and I noticed at a HD display, that our first cabinet finish choice, natural maple, looked EXTREMELY faded in comparison to its original color. When we opened the cabinet doors, we could see how much light had faded and deepened the tone and color of the exposed wood in comparison to the portion of the cabinet not exposed to light behind the doors.

We began to worry how distracting this would be over time, and also noticed how a set of Maple Glazed cabinets in the same display didn't seem faded (Mocha I believe).

Questions: has anyone else with Natural Maple had the same thing happen to their American Woodmark / Shanendoah cabinets? Does it make you regret that color and finish choice? Would buying one of the "glazed" finishes, Coffee, Mocha, etc, cause the maple to fade more slowly over time?

thanks in advance, and Happy New Year

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH