SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nob_hill

Condensation is dripping into overflow pan

nobhill
13 years ago

I have a newly installed AC. The bottom of the enclosure around the coil gets cold enough that it is always below dewpoint and most of the bottom nearest the primary drain is wet.

There is enough condensation to cause puddling in the overflow pan. The contractor claimed this was normal. There is maybe a half cup of water inside the enclosure pooled at the primary drain. Then there is another half cup or so of liquid in the overflow pan.

The reason I am concerned is that the condensation is occurring where the coil transtions to the plenum. The transition from coil enclosure rises about an inch in the transition to the plenum. Condensation also occurs on the underside of this transition area which angles up at about 30 degrees and mostly runs back to the overflow pan, but a bit drips onto the attic insulation under it. The insulation is barely damp on top of the fiberglass bat.

The old system never did anything like this. Is this something that needs to be fixed. It just does not sound right. Thanks for any help. I am just a homeowner trying to understand this new system.

Edit/Delete Message

Comments (6)