SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcm55

adding heat pump to existing gas furnace

jcm55
15 years ago

I'm planning to add a heat pump to our existing Goodman GMV95 95% AFUE furnace. I'd originally planned to do this after installing a solar photovoltaic system, so we could shift our heating energy source from gas to electric to take advantage of the solar system. However, we've had quite a few more hot days than we anticipated when we built the house, and we have no A/C at the moment. So we are really wishing for the cooling function of the heat pump right now and I think that project has moved above the solar system on our priority list.

What I'd like to do is have a contractor come out to help size the system, then I'll get the components and do the bulk of the install myself, and have the contractor come back to charge the system and do the startup. Probably I'd go with one of the Goodman 16 SEER heat pumps. Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or will HVAC contractors balk at the idea of working with a homeowner who's going to do most of the work?

Another question I have is regarding placement of the heat pump evap coil with a gas furnace.

Option 1: Standard placement above upflow furnace, gas burner runs during heat pump defrost cycle. Problem: high pressure at compressor, possible early failure

Option 2: Standard placement above upflow furnace, gas burner does *not* run during defrost cycle (blower only). Problem: cold air from registers during defrost

Option 3: Evap coil placement in cold air return plenum, before furnace. Problem: air flow can blow coil condensation through furnace, leading to corrosion of internal components.

Your thoughts on all of the above appreciated.

Comments (2)