SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorsofspring

Mold smell, slab and deteriorating ducts

colorsofspring
16 years ago

I am seeking advice for a situation that is making me very nervous.

We have a townhouse in Upstate NY which is about 35 years old. It is on a concrete slab. We have a forced air HVAC with the ground floor ducts in the slab.

The furnace and the AC unit are both only about 2 years old. The furnace room is very small and also holds the laundry and water heater. In April we had some heavy rains and a few days afterwards, when the heat was turned on, I smelled mold coming from the ducts. The smell got stonger over the next few days and it began to bother my sinuses and gave me headaches. My husband did not smell anything.

We stopped using the heat for the last weeks of cold weather.

We had the HVAC rep come in to check the furnace to see if the mold was inside. It looked clean although the mold smell was strong in that room.

Over weeks of non-use the smell became lessened. Upon turning the AC on, the smell was almost completely gone. We bought a de-humidifier for the laundry/furnace room.

We inspected the ducts ourselves. They are very dirty and in one area, the metal has corroded and rusted away. I suspect the heavy rains permeated the slab and caused the mold to grow in the duct. We have an appt. to have the ducts cleaned next week, but I am nervous about that making the problem worse with the corroded ducts.

Advice please! Is there anyway to somehow repair the corroded area of the metal duct short of running new ductwork? I am very afraid of not being able to use our system once the cold weather returns! Thank you for any help.

Comment (1)