SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Teresa NC - I forgot to thank you for the tuna salad recipe

shambo
10 years ago

I've been using it as a guideline for making tuna salad for about a year now. As I've mentioned way too often before, my husband is on a restricted sodium diet. So I buy low sodium tuna that only comes packed in water. To me, the tuna is always very dry and requires inordinate amounts of mayo to make it moist. Of course, too much mayo means too much salt. So I often subbed sour cream for part of the mayo. It tastes fine, but it's thick and I have to use a lot of it to get a creamy spread. Then one day I remembered your special tuna salad recipe. The great thing is that I can buy no-salt-added 1% milk fat cottage cheese from my local Safeway.

Using the cottage cheese in addition to mayo made a perfect spread. It added creaminess & moisture without any extra salt. My husband doesn't like eggs with his tuna salad, so I use 2 cans instead of one. My tuna salad uses just about the same ingredients as your recipe; I just leave out the celery salt. But I might add dill weed, curry powder, Cajun seasoning blend, chopped red or green bell pepper -- depending on my mood.

Since trying the cottage cheese trick in tuna salad, I've added hefty scoops to tuna casserole, enchilada filling, baked ziti, lasagna, etc. It adds moistness & creaminess (and extra protein). But the best thing, for me, is that it doesn't add salt. Anyhow, a long overdue "THANKS!"

Home on the Range Tuna Salad
Posted by teresa_nc7

2 eggs
1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Directions:
1. Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Peel, and chop.

2. In a large bowl, flake tuna. Add cottage cheese, eggs, celery, green onions, parsley, lemon pepper seasoning, celery salt, lemon juice, and mayonnaise; mix well. Chill.

2010 Allrecipes.com

Comments (7)