SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Weeks without counters or sink when replacing countertops--true?

julieste
11 years ago

I am working with a couple different fabricators and trying to make a decision about which one to hire to replace my tile countertops with soapstone and marble. My current counters are the old-fashioned look with contrasting color rounded bullnose edgers. The tile is laid on top of cement backer board that is on top of plywood.

One guy (company number one) told me that they do computerized templating, and I can leave my current counters in place for the couple weeks it takes to make the counters. They can do the templating process and then tear out the old counters a day or two before the new install. This sounds like a pretty nice process and easy for us with no hassle.

Another company told me that all of the counters (and thus the sink) need to be removed before the templating can be done. Then, the templating is done, and I should probably plan on three weeks maybe before installatiion. This sounds like a mess and a hassle for us.

But, of course, company number two (the one where we will have no counters for weeks) is the one that I like the best. They have the best recommendations for what I am doing, they have provided the most service already doing a lot of calling around to find exactly what I am looking for, and their bid is lowest.

What is the common scenario for replacing counters and doing this templating deal? With the type of counter top situation we have (all of this thick bullnosed tile), will both procedure produce equal results?

What were your experiences when you replaced your counter tops? It is my understanding that my situation is different from someone who just took out easily removable formica counter tops. Thanks.

Comments (11)