SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

Kitchen sink replacement woes

gr8daygw
11 years ago

Last March we had granite put in the kitchen along with a new sink, faucet and disposal. About three weeks ago I saw a crack forming around the drain of the sink. One would think that the drain collar was put in too tight but there is no way that could be since it doesn't screw in, it is just siliconed in. When I took a photo of it and showed it to Home Depot where we got it they immediately called Kohler and I thought they would send someone out to repair it or tell me I was out of luck since it has almost been a year. But the Kohler representative on the phone immediately said they would send a new one. But I am on my own to have it installed. The sink weighs 126 lbs. I called the granite company and they said that they could not remove the granite without damaging it so I am going over there Thursday to look and see if there is any granite I can find to go with what I have. No place in town has this granite and even if they did it would not match. I have not seen this granite anywhere and it's not solid but a light ivory with brown, gray, taupe, black. Swirly for lack of a better term, it looks more like marble.

By the time I put in a new portion of granite, pay to have the sink installed, pay for the plumber to hook everything back up I am looking at big bucks. I am thinking of just living with it and not replacing it but it is discouraging to look at my new kitchen and see that crack there already. It will eventually creep and get bigger.

Here is my question, would it look awful to get another type of granite and replace that whole side of the kitchen with something perhaps in a more solid color? Of course, it is the biggest run of granite in the entire kitchen where the sink is. To be honest, I don't love this granite and I'd love to get rid of it but I can't justify doing that and don't have the cash anyway. But maybe I could swing just replacing that one side of the kitchen.

My other thought was to get a sink that wouldn't be so impossible to handle and try to make it fit such as the new Silgranit that has a low divide and is reversible. That would be so much lighter but still don't know how we would get the other sink out, not to mention the hole where the faucet is drilled would most likely never match up. Oy vey... any suggestions?

This is the long run that would have to be replaced if I have the sink replaced.

Comments (16)