SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Looking for Barley Salad recipes

caliloo
12 years ago

It hit 94 here today and it got me thinking about hot weather cooking and interesting grain type salads. I've made French Lentil Salad in the past and this recipe reminded me a little of that one. Do you have any other barley salad recipes that you love? I'm not interested in other grains at this point, just barley. Also, in the following recipe it calls for cooking the barley for 18 minutes. I would think it would still be rock hard! Usually when I make barley it simmers for at least and hour.... Also, I would avoid the powdered ingredients and use my own balsamic vinaigrette, but that is splitting hairs at this point :-)

Thanks in advance!

Alexa

Corn and Red Pepper Barley Salad

Ingredients:

8 cups water

1 1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 medium sweet red pepper

2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed

2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

SALAD DRESSING:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, combine the water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until barley is just tender. Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, halve pepper; remove stem and seeds. Broil pepper skin side up 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters and blackens, about 8-10 minutes. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop pepper.

3. In a bowl, combine corn, 1/2 cup onions, Parmesan, roasted pepper and barley. In another bowl, combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Pour over barley mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining onions.

Comments (6)