SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

How do I go up to attic if there is no accessible spot to it?

chueh
14 years ago

Here is the strange thing. The furnace is in the attic, which was confirmed by the technician who came to light the pilot light from the gas company. He went to the basement and lit the light for water heater and then asked me where the furnace was. I did not know where it was. Then, he said, if it was not anywhere in the house or the basement, it must be in the attic.

Usually, if you have an attic, you would see a flap (covering a ladder) on the ceiling with a string on it that you can pull down. I don't see any flap on the ceiling, but only a thin molding marking a square, which does not look like something movable to me. The ceiling seems flat with the molding attached to it. There is no string attached either. The technician looked at the square thing and asked me if I had a ladder. The answer was no. He did not have it either, so he suggested that we listen to the sound of pumping the furnace up when I turned the heat on (that was back in winter). Within a minute or two, I heard a "Hom" sound. He said, "ok, it's on and working."

My question is: is this strange looking flat ceiling with only a molding marking square thing an accessible way to the attic? Obviously the furnace is up there, but how am I going to get up there? There is no flap thing which I can pull down. The molding even does not look movable......

Thanks

Thanks

Comments (4)