SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedrik

Goodman Heat Pump problem/Icing

tedrik
13 years ago

I need help! The last 2 days I noticed at approx. noon time our Goodman heat pump would not cycle off and would go to 2nd stage cooling (yellow light on thermostat) and had a problem bringing the temp. down to 78. after about midnight it would go to set temp and then cycle on/off. Today I noticed reduced air flow from registers and call an AC tech to come out at 9 pm this evening. The following is what occurred:

Tech arrived and took off lower panel of inside air handler and noted the extreme Ice on the coil (he had asked me to turn off the system for 1 hour prior to his arrival and it was still pretty thick. I asked if I could put a hairdryer on it to defrost it-he said just wait a few more minutes because ther's also heavy iceing underneath the filter. I did not see this and he didn't seem to want me to look. Anyway he first said I had a major leak and then he got another call and he said he would finish with me in about 30 minutes(to the person on the phone).

We went outside to the compressor (after sufficient thawing of icing problem). He checked the r410 level and had me look at the gage and said it was really low! He was on the phone again and then went to his truck to get some freon/all the time on the phone. I wanted to observe him adding the freon and check the gages as he had showed me when they were low. It was dark and he obviously didn't want me observing! Well, he came back in the house and said the bill was $150.00. He said he just added a "little" freon. He had turned on the cooling againg before he SUPPOSEDLY added the freon. The green light came on and it seemed to quickly bring the temp down to 80 degrees from 82 (san antonio, tx. which luckily not too hot this evening) I mentioned that even though I probably had a leak that could it be that the thawing allowed the unit too work again. I asked if he could come back in the AM and check the refrigerant level and I would pay him then. Reluctantly he said OK and told me to call him anytime during the night even if a problem, Well, 10 minutes after he left the unit went to 2nd stage and the flow from the registers was again redcuced and the unit would not cool below 80. I called his number and NO ANSWER!

I am normally a trusting person-bit I don't think he added any freon in the hopes that the thawing process would make the unit run again temporarily-but it went back to the same problem as before I called him. I even took the lower case off again and I could see the ice forming. Now, later at night after allowing it to de-ice again as the temps are lower, it will start to cycle on/off again probably until about noon tomorrow and then stay on in 2nd stage and ice up.

I am typing this at 4:30 AM after no sleep-checking the cycle times so I hope I'm understandable! Anyone offer some advice/help? Do I have a small/large leak? what should it cost to diagnose? The Goodman unit is only 2 years old and I heard there could be leaks where they sodder the copper. I have a TXV(TVX?) valve which feels warm when the fluid is passing through the copper pipe but when it iced up and it was turned off the pipe felt ice cold and dripped with condensatio (cold). Thanks, Tedrik

Comments (9)