SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Fall Shoe Shopping

funkyart
9 years ago

OK, I am going batty trying to find a few pairs of attractive, comfortable very wearable shoes. I have found a pair of darling eileen fisher shoes but they will be great with a select few outfits and not a real "workhorse" of my fall wardrobe.

i've needed fall shoes for two seasons but I have been stuck. I can't wear the heels that I used to and everything without a heel looks so boring or old ladyish! My primary need is to replace the booties I like to wear with both jeans and suits. They are a nice black suede.. very simple, great lines and a low wedge heel (maybe 1.5"). What i love about them is that they have a nice shape-- not a round toe (hate them) and not a square toe! I can wear them with jeans and a jacket as well as with a suit. Most importantly, I can wear them all day-- and still run down the hall and down the steps in them. They were as perfect as any shoe I've ever owned-- but I've sucked the last possible season from them.

LOVE some of the suede wedges I am seeing on the shelves-- Via Spiga makes a smart one but I just can't handle the 3" heels.

What are you loving this season? What can you see wearing ALL day .. and with both jeans and dress pants?

I am leaning towards these-- they aren't quite as stylish as I wanted but they'll work until I find the next perfect shoe/boot. I wish they were a little sleeker and I don't like the gore panel but they'll work in the rotation. What else can you tempt me with?

Comments (33)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are the Eileen Fisher shoes I want-- I just need to replace the basics first. Love the silky fabric around the ankle. They'll be darling with wide leg black pants or even ankle pants.

• golddust
    9 years ago

I just bought two pair of these. One in black leather and a pair in Blue nubuck. Danskos fit my arches well. I'm happy.

Still looking for boots that I can wear, verses them wearing me.

• Related Discussions

Shopping for shoes online

Q

Comments (7)
    Socks... I wear a 5 1/2D. If you order a pair, let us know how they fit. The best fit I have right now is Reebok 6 1/2 wide, but they slide up and down on my heel. However, the width is great and since they're casual and worn with jeans it's not so noticable. I tie them tight enough to not be uncomfortable. One thing I've found is all D sizes are not created equal. And just because you can find 6 wide, they're still not quite wide enough for me, especially pumps and dress shoes. Thus, the 6 1/2 wide with a flopping heel is how I go.
    ...See More

Shoe shopping Ladies?!....new CL's

Q

Comments (21)
    I don't think the topic is at all harassing. Faron, I am more interested in your DD's social life. Does she get to wear these CL's often? I guess she must go to some awesome events, parties, etc. I rarely see the CLs on our DD's age group - early 20's? With my own DD's friends (cash-poor college students), Ugg Classic Tall boots and Steve Madden flats are pretty much the standard attire. lol My own DD is 5'9", so she steers away from anything with too high of a heel. I feel the same way about that kind of heel. Makes me feel way too tall. The CL shoes aren't for me, too much too high. I would be tetering on those spiked heels. I am more of a practical shoe gal. Comfort being the big criteria after style. When I need a pair of "formal" shoes for a party, I hate to admit that I usually spend less than what I spend on my daily shoes. I don't want to spend big $$$ on shoes that I may only wear once or twice.
    ...See More

internet shoe shopping

Q

Comments (5)
    The price difference is usually that one color is being added or continued--the higher priced one-- and the other color is being discontinued. Or the lower priced color isn't selling as well, so it's on sale to move more product. I have to buy wide width shoes, which many shoe stores don't carry, or they only buy one pair of wide shoes per size, i.e. they may buy 20 pairs of size 7 and one pair of size 7 wide. So I do most of my shoe buying on the internet. It's just like any other store--popular things sell out quickly. And these days, on-line retailers seem to be carrying less inventory than they did even 5 years ago. I've noticed if I don't buy something right when I see it the first time, if I come back, several sizes and colors will be sold out. Fewer sales, too.
    ...See More

Shopping for shoes yesterday

Q

Comments (10)
    I only wear comfortable shoes at this point in my life and my feet are very hard to fit, they are flatter than flat so anything looks terrible on me because of how my feet are. but a few brands that I can wear are Merrell, I have 2 pair of them that I wear as my dressier every day shoes. Dr.Comfort shoes, Keen I have my Keen sandals that I live in during the summer they are not girlie shoes but are wonderful. And Born shoes are great and so are Clarks. This is very similar to my fave Merrells but mine are a bit dressier but do have the zip, and are leather. Lorelei Zip You should see a podiatrist and have them do a professional fitting on you, so many people think they are in the right size but actually they aren't and wearing shoes that fit badly can really cause serious toe and foot problems. My mother is a perfect example of that, she wore shoes that were too tight and too pointed for most of her life and now at 89 her feet are so crippled up she can barely wear shoes at all. Her toes are all on top of each other from being squished into those pointed shoes, reminiscent of the bound feet of Oriental women.
    ...See More
  • funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh those are cute-- dansko has sure come a long way from the beloved clog! I do like these and even revisited their clogs-- but they are just too clunky for the office and especially dress pants/suits. I really need something comfortable that has a stylish edge.

I very often wear dress pants, turtleneck and a scarf or a jacket. It's rare that I need to go full-on suit but i do think the right shoes can elevate pants/sweater to something more stylish. I guess that's what i loved about my last booties.. if I just threw on black pants, black turtleneck in a rush in the morning. The booties and a scarf made it look put together. That's the wardrobe workhorse I am looking for.. something that can elevate a simple outfit.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Honestly, I almost hate thinking of fall/winter clothes. We will still have a good bit of warm weather here so I can make do with transitional pieces for a while. For example, I have on kind of wide leg black pants, a tank and a 3/4 sleeve cardigan today with high heel wedge black slides. I so prefer spring/summer clothes over all the layers of colder weather. And you know I HATE my feet covered. It has to be really, really cold for me to wear boots. Wish I had a pic of the pair of booties hubby bought me last winter. They are a smooth leather a narrowed, almost pointed toe, but squared off. A somewhat high heel. Black and they are sleek. I can't remember the brand, I'll have to look.

I love those black shoes you show and saw some with a leopard print in the front part of the shoe. Thinking I might order those. Would be good transitional.

HAve you check Zappos and 6pm.com?

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

My aerosoles are comfy. They have some good deals online if you sign up for their email list.

I am thinking of a new pair of Frye boots - mine old ones are comfy, but getting battered.

I like the style of the Eileen Fisher shoes, but my feet would ache without arch support. I can slide supports in pumps, but they would show in those shoes.

My favorite shoes are Joan and David. I got lucky and found a pair of grey pumps at TJMaxx. I always check their shoe racks. sometimes they have something special in my size.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Tina I almost have nightmares thinking about having to put on real shoes and socks!

There's a really nice chill in the air this morning - a good excuse to put on a nice light-weight fall shirt and long pants - but I am still wearing my dressy black and silver flip-flops. I HATE real shoes :).

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I wish we could wear sandals and mules all year but the fall is rolling in with a vengeance this week -- it's lovely but definitely cool. Too cool for open toed shoes to be appropriate (and I admit, i have an issue with open toed shoes in the office. I wear them-- but it feels wrong).

I really dont think i can wear much of a heel as an everyday shoe. It used to be that it was expected--but it's not expected anymore and good thing because at 50, I am likely to fall on my bum or walk around groaning in pain lol. There are some brands that are fine-- and i think a boot with a solid heel like the sam edelman's above would be fine-- but I am looking for a lowish heel. In addition to becoming much more clumsy, I have depth perception issue with stairs. I just don't want to look like a doddering old lady in my heels LOL.

Oh boy-- where am I looking? Zappos, Amazon, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales. Macys is local as is DSW but havent found anything there that isnt available the other places. I am pretty frequently disappointed with DSW.

Aerosoles are comfortable but i havent seen many styles that work for me in their offerings.

I really need a *stylish* low heel. Is that so crazy to want?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I hate mid-season shoe shopping. I am always at a loss about what to wear on my feet in early spring (when winter shoes no longer work) and early fall (when it's sadly time to put away the sandals). Today I am wearing a long-sleeved shirt, jeans, and flip flops! Just can't break into real shoes yet.

Everyone's feet are so different. I can't wear anything Dansko, but Joseph Seibel shoes and clogs always fit me and last forever. Not sure if any of these would fit the bill for you. I am eyeballing some of these flat booties for casual wear. I bought the Catalonia clogs in navy last fall and they suited my jeans "uniform".

Here is a link that might be useful: JS

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I found a fabulous pair of transitional shoes for early fall at J Jill, very reasonable (so much so I thought they were on sale!)

They look great with everything and the leather is very nice.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

kswl - I just can't take that rounded toe. To me it makes the shoe look like a kid's shoe. They look awful on my feet. It could be because I wear a 6 and the rounded toe makes my feet look like kid's feet!!

Funky - Thankfully my workplace is fairly casual. Sandals of all kinds are worn here. I don't stoop to flip-flop styles at work LOL
    In my area you will see sandals, mules, backless, toeless, etc. for some time yet. I have several pairs that do not look "summery" (such as black, dark brown, leopard print) and a couple of pairs of clogs (mules?) that have the toe out. I can't wear a really high heel and certainly not a skinny heel. I like more of a chunky heel but my feet actually feel better with some heel (I have somewhat fallen arches). I also LOOK better because I am short.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That's why there are so many different kind of shoes, tinam :-) Those toes seem fairly pointed to me!

I think booties are very hard to get right with respect to the height of the shoe top. If it is too high it hits the leg at a very unflattering point above the ankle and makes the leg look chunky. I have seen so many "bad bootie" legs that I have never even tried them. Of course, I don't wear heels but a few times per year, ballet flats are more my style. Thank goodness there are millions of shoes out there for us all!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Of course. As my dad says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla!

I only wear booties with pants so no problem there. The ballet flats are (mostly) the same on me as the rounded toes - I think because I have small feet, they look too childish on me. I can handle the pointed toe ones; I guess they make my feet look a bit longer.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I spent most of Saturday pulling out all of our Fall and Winter clothes and shoes, as we're leaving soon for a vacation back in Michigan. With a lot of different events and activities planned, from a wedding and reception, dinners out with family and old friends, to schlepping around at my sister's country house/property, riding their horses, and some hiking as well, I'm going to need to pack a LOT of clothes and shoes! They're even planning a big hayride and bonfire/ cookout event on their property one evening and told me to bring along a pair of my Western boots for that one.
    I needed to replace a few of my shoes for this trip. I'm envious of all of you who can wear heels, as I can't wear anything higher that 1 1/2" anymore . I have very high arches and ruined my feet (seriously) during my twenties and thirties wearing too high of heels and shoes without decent support. My foot doc said that I have the feet of a professional ballerina. That was NOT a compliment! I did manage to find a couple of new ones for the trip, though: pretty brown suede Coach loafers and a pair of dressier black leather flats. I will be wearing a pair of very glamorous, sexy flats to the wedding, though (LOL).
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 11:44

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have time to read/respond to each email just now-- but I will return to read them all.

1 1/2 is about my limit too, Lynn and I need solid footing (although a kitten heel is generally ok). I also need loafers but I am not as concerned about them right now. Cole Haan, Coach, Frye, Joan & David.. there are many options.

Tina/Kswl - I also only wear booties with pants. I so rarely wear dresses and skirts outside of the summer, I just don't think about or worry about dresses and I have plenty of heels in the closet that I could wear for short duration. I need the kind of booties I can run around in. Why booties? Not sure. I guess I like the ease of putting them on and keeping my feet warm.

I also really dislike a round toe. I have a size 10 foot so they make me think "work boot". Square toe is ok with some looks but it depends on how it looks on my huge-o-mongo foot. :)

Sue, so glad you mentioned josef seibel. I havent worn them before and wondered about the fit/quality. Another I wonder about is pikkolino. I think I am going to order the two posted above and another boot from a brand I am unfamiliar with, Shelly London. I'll give these a try and then go from there.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND EXPERIENCES!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Boots, boots, and more boots! A 2" heel or wedge heel is best for walking/ standing, but if you can do higher, more power to ya! I only wear pumps or sling backs when I get more dressed up. Boots are great with pants, tights/skirt, stretch pants, jeans, or even a dress. Can you tell I prefer boots in the fall/ winter months ?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have also been looking for a cute bootie. Everything I seem to find is too casual but I have found a few I'm considering. Funny you mention your shoe size; I'm a 9.5 and think the way you do about the toe shape and heel size.

Here is one Cole Haan I found (comes in black too). There is a flat-heeled Michael Kors 'Brandy' and Ivanka Trump 'Roni' with a small heel that look good too.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

outsideplaying....I love those! Must have :-)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside Playing - That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! But here's the thing, I don't see that bootie for sale anywhere. There are some similar with a much higher heel.. and there are some with a buckle detail .. but not this boot. Am I being dumb?

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Funky, I couldn't find the exact one either. I am going to order the one with the buckle.

Btw Eileen Fisher has a suede bootie you might like. I saw them at Nordstrom. It's the Key Bootie.

This post was edited by marlene_2007 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 18:50

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Funky, I saw these online at Belk.com. Not in the store so check. Sometimes they have more online than in our actual store.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

outside and Funky, they are Coach.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Marlene, thank you for correcting my mistake! I totally blew that one. Sorry I led you on a wild goose chase for Cole Haan when it should have been Coach, funky. I guess I had too many brands running around in my head!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aha! it is Coach-- thank you, Marlene/Outside!! They are a 2" heel which is my upper limit, I think.. but I am going to give them a try.

Also, I had forgotten about the EF Key Bootie. I loved it-- but when I saw them, I was thinking surely I could find a basic ankle boot for less than $300. Guess not. I wish I had tried them on when I saw them!!

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

what a great post with so many ideas for great shoes. I love those J Jill ones!

• User
    9 years ago

me too me too I love those J JILL ones as well. I have a special fondness for brown and black handbags (as I never change my purse and when I find one I like I wear it multiple years every day until it dies or breaks). Those shoes follow that theme:)
    Going to try and track them down.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I have had 2 pair of these boots over the last 6 years. They are amazing. Waterproof. Your feet will never be wet and cold.

They are not cheap, but I wear for 3 or 4 years, so feel that they are as good a value as most other boots. Very comfortable. And did I say waterproof?

Here is a link that might be useful: La Canadienne

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Peytonroad and Sheilaaus, the J Jill shoes are extremely comfortable! The front strap is wide enough not to pinch and not too tight, and it is a kind of taupe color that, when paired with the black leather, looks very fallish despite the sling back style. For our warm autumns in Gergia they are just perfect. I wish they would make this style in other colors!

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Funkyart,

I just wanted to update you on the boot search.

I just got the Eileen Fisher suede bootie and it is very attractive and fits like a glove (a foot glove :-).

The Cole Haan leather bootie didn't have a zipper and it was not easy to slip on and once I did, was very uncomfortable. I usually like CH fit. Maybe I ordered the wrong size.

The Sam Edelman black leather bootie...OMG! Fits very well. I am not crazy about the heel, but heck! I am 66 and just have to realize my high heel days have turned in to low heel days.

Would love to hear what you have tried. Oh btw...love the ones outsideplaying posted but can't find them.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marlene! So glad you made out so well-- and that you came back to share. I have to travel to find better shoes here but I did receive the Sam Edelman Morillo suede boots and they fit a little snug but since they are suede I know they will stretch. I don't love them but they'll do for now. Which did you get?

Also got a pair of cole haan smoking style loafers that will be great for the transition to fall. They are striped black, natural and cream so they won't carry into winter but they are fine for now.

I am told that coach boot is at the outlet so I am stalling until I can hit the store later this week. Coach doesn't always fit me well so I prefer to try them on.

I am looking at a few others-- but in the price ranges I have been pushed to, I prefer to plan a trip to philly to actually try them on. I am notorious for not returning things I buy online.

Tonight I am loving this shoe from Donald Pliner... it's pretty masculine but in my head it will be adorable with skinny black pants. Unfortunately that would be true of a cute skinny model.. me? not so much.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Hi Funkyart,

I got the Sam Edelman Petty. They are a really plain bootie with a flat heel.

I really do love the Eileen Fisher Key Boot. They are attractive and extremely comfortable.

I don't hate too many things in life but I do hate shoe shopping. :-) (Oh and dressing room mirrors).

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Funky, I bought these in soft black kid leather. Although I can't walk nicely in high heels these are amazingly comfortable at 2". The great thing about them is that they can be dressed up or down. The reviews are good! You will look very "hot" in jeans too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trotters

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I keep looking at the petty. It's such a great boot-- but i really need a slightly dressier boot first.

I still havent decided if I am going to keep the Morillo. It works but I don't love it. I'd definitely like to try the EF Key boot... and I'd love it in the ash!

Jterrilynn, oh that's a very wearable heel for me. I was actually looking at another trotter shoe/shootie but it has a much more delicate heel (and a great patent leather toe!). I -know- it is too much but it's just a gorgeous shoe. I may give the ones you linked a try.

Thank you both so much! I am trying to find a day to travel to philly and get my shoe on!!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Funky, I would wear those bootie/shoe-ys year round if I could they are that comfortable. As it is I save them for my trips to Michigan from Florida. My foot width is normal to a tic narrow so the regular width works for me. However, there are several widths available which makes it nice I think for a good fit. If you wanted to be real fly you could also go with the lizard with dressy heal lol.