SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

HVAC blows warm air

ricksample
10 years ago

Greatings everyone,
Long time user of Gardenweb, but this is my first post in the HVAC forum. My central AC was put In just under 5 years ago... I have an all electric home with a heat pump. The heat worked fine this past winter, but I am trying to run my AC and I think I'm having some issues. The past 4 years my AC would kick on for 10 minutes to cool the place, then kick off for 30-45 minutes, then back on for 10. This cycle would continue just running at 10-15 minute intervals.

This year I've had my AC on for about 2 hours straight and it's failed to kick off and is keeping the temp at 74. When it kicks on initially, it'll blow just neutral air (neither warm or cold). After 15 minutes of that, it'll blow very cold air. Then another 15 minutes will pass it'll blow the neutral air again. This cycle continues keeping it at 74. I did go outside and I noticed when it blows the neutral air, the fan stops running. You can put your hand over the outside unit and feel the heat coming off.

I have two brass lines running from the outside unit to the inside. The larger pipe (maybe 1") is very cold. The smaller pipe (maybe 1/4") is warm/hot.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it something that I can fix or should I hire it out? Either way, the biggest question is a guess on the price to fix.

Thanks!

Comments (9)