SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

Would you do DNA testing for a geneological search?

bonnieann925
9 years ago

I recieved a letter and a package of information from a total stanger, asking me to do a DNA test to help him find his biological mother. At best he would be a 3rd or 4th cousin, based on the family tree he sent to me.

He has narrowed down his search for his biological father to two brothers, neither of whom wish to proceed with testing. He is now focusing on finding his biological mother. He would like to know his health history, being now in his mid-forties.

My gut reaction is yes, why not, but I am a bit befuddled by the request. I wrote back and told him that I will probably do the testing, but that I need time to research and think about it.

My family tree is so well documented on my father's side of the family-my paternal grandfather. I can trace my roots back to 1637 when his family settled in Chatham, MA.

This connection would be through my paternal grandmother or her brother. It's all speculation. None of it fits what I know of that side of the family, and even he admits that.

Still, I feel compelled to help. However, I wonder why if his biological mother wanted to find him (she was apparently a 20 year old college student in the Syracuse area, who gave birth to him in 1968) why she has not done so. The other detail that doesn't seem to fit is that on the birth certificate his mother listed her religion as Roman Catholic. None of my relatives in Maine or NH were Roman Catholic.

Will my agreement to do the testing bring any answers to his puzzle? Will they cause pain to those involved?

WWYD?

Comments (28)