SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
realitybend

best hvac option - repair compressor, replace ac, or furnace too?

realitybend
9 years ago

I'm a new homeowner who has discovered the AC is no longer working. The old R-22 has apparently drained out of the coils over the winter, and I'm told the compressor is bad. The unit is a gas furnace / AC combo, 4 ton. I've been told that's a bit oversized for the house which is just under 2000 sq ft. The taller than normal ceilings (9 ft) might contribute to that as a need.

The people that diagnosed the problem initially said I could replace the ac unit for $3,000 to $3,500 (3.5 ton, married to the existing 4 ton furnace), or replace the compressor and refrigerant for around $1200 with basically no warranty.

I had another firm come quote me on a new system, and they surprised me by telling me that I needed to replace the whole system (including the furnace) so I didn't have more problems to deal with in a couple of years. They want to replace everything with a Carrier system, and gave me three options ranging from $6400 to $6800.

First of all, do I really need to replace the whole system?

Secondly, is something like this a good deal?
$6800 for a 16 SEER Carrier A/C Model 24ACC648 (4 ton) matched with 96.1% furnace Model 59TP5-80-20

Comments (4)