SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Layout -- 2nd round, help please!

plllog
16 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments on my first plan.

Some of what I learned:

• Trash is an appliance. Plan accordingly.

• Goopy hands need a handy sink.

• Cabinets are good, but one can overdo it.

• Zones are good, but they don't always work--that is, I need you experts.

Here is a new drawing of the existing walls which is accurate. I had help doing the first set of measurements and they were off, as well as the drawing having gotten screwed up.

I'm also posting my latest attempt at a layout, incorporating your comments. I even stuck in a big ol' (flat) TV, just for kicks since someone asked. The pre-1972 portable can go, even if it is cute :)

Appliances and features:

*Great morning sun from the East (slider side) and plenty of light all day long.

*Washer and dryer remain.

*36" SubZero fridge over freezer with icemaker

*30" Gaggenau freezer (may change)

*24" Marvel fridge drawers in island for cooking veg (top drawer) and beverages and sauces (bottom drawer). This works because I'll set up a beverage station elsewhere for company and for home it's okay if it's in the middle.

*Gaggenau combi steam over convection ovens.

*Sharp microwave drawer in island.

*Trough style prep sink in island.

*Diva 3 hob induction and Wolf 2 burner gas.

*Decorative hood for focal point.

*Pull out rolling surface with legs.

*Main trash under clean-up sink. Secondary trash under island sink. I know I was told trash next to sink is better than under, but I don't have anything else I want to put under sinks, and everyone in my family will be looking for trash under the sink. And the layout works better.

The walls of the laundry room and existing pantry are partitions and probably have to be removed/replaced no matter what, in order to replace the floor. The laundry room can move, but I haven't found a layout that works for that. Theoretically the exterior doors and windows can move, but I'd rather not. Same with the water heater. Out the slider is the patio, beyond that the studio, all doors are double 10-light. Out the right window is the sideyard fence/hedge. The exterior of the right wall has the electrical panel, telephone input, cable service, and airconditioners. There is nowhere to bump out or build out.

This layout shows moving and enlarging the door into the dining room. I don't know if this is possible. If it is not, the cabinet marked "display" will be for stemware. The folding chairs (and possible future table leaves if I get a second table) will be stored in the hard to get at part of the island. This is a good thing.

Things I want but don't necessarily have in this layout:

*Cooktops and ovens on exterior walls.

*Sink under window.

*Fridge close to MW and prep.

*Stuff for cooking close to cooktop (fridge drawers work)

*Kitchen dishes, glasses, flatware near fridge and MW and seating. I can put some under the MW drawer but most will be near the DW...

Comments (14)