SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Wood Countertops--IRL usage data discussion

breezygirl
11 years ago

On another current thread about how a wood counter with Waterlox is not fairing well, a couple of members have started discussing how their tops are wearing. Rather than hijack that thread, I thought we should begin a separate one for this conversation. It might help others thinking of a wood top to know what to expect. I gave a quick answer to Firsthouse when she posted a thread asking me about mine so I think others could benefit. And, we can reassure ourselves that our patina'd tops are "normal." :)

I NEED to sleep so I won't post much tonight, except to say that my Osmo Polyx Oiled Black Walnut counter has scratches and some dents after 14 months. I can't imagine that any wood counter wouldn't do the same, even those with Waterlox. When you drop an aluminum can of stewed tomatoes or have a cocktail shaker full of Lemon Drop yumminess fly out of your hands while vigorously shaking, wood will do what wood does.

Anyone else want to chime in until I can post some other experience and photos tomorrow? It might help to identify your wood species and what product you used for finishing.

Comments (21)