SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nashkat_gw

attic conditioner leaking water, destroying ceiling below

nashkat
9 years ago

Hi to all you experts out there. I hope you can help me!
Last summer our upstairs air condtioner (Trane, at least 12 years old) started cutting out. Worse, there was water in the metal pan, and the pan had corroded badly. Water was leaking out and over the next several weeks ruined the walls and ceiling of the room below.

I called our air-con guy, whom I trusted, and who had installed our large downstairs unit with few problems.

He tried many things. He replaced the corroded pan. He installed a water-level detector to cut off power in the event of a leak (but did not put in an auxiliary drain). He tried to find the cause of the water in the pan. It was evaporation coming from the coils, and falling into the pan, instead of draining properly. He checked the drain line. He insulated all the pipes exiting the unit, in case humidity was evaporating on them and soaking through the attic insulation into the room below. He sprayed the coils with something to make the water slide down them better. I don't know what else he tried, but summer came to an end, and without heat and humidity we couldn't tell any more if what he did worked.

Come this summer. It's still leaking, and there was enough water in the pan to cut off the air con. We've got painters in the house at the moment, and their work in the room below is spoiled.

I called a large reputable firm to come and look. The tech arrived at 10.30 pm, so was tired and working in the dark with a flashlight. He diagnosed a faulty Thermal Expansion Valve. He said that the coils were icing up, and when the ice melts it falls into the pan instead of sliding to the drain.

I asked him, if that's the case, and if the cut-off is working (which it is), why is water still leaking into the room below? It should all be contained in the pan. He said the freon exit pipe gets frozen up, and condensation on it could be responsible. Even though ithe pipe is insulated.

The pan is a year old, but is corroding at the corners of the unit. However, it seems unlikely it corroded enough to start leaking already.

You see my problem. If I trust this guy, install a new TXV for $1000 +, and that doesn't solve the problem, we've got another ruined ceiling and walls that we just paid to have painted.

My husband wants to move the unit out of the attic and into the basement, but that would mean massive changes to the ductwork, and may not even be possible.

So please, any advice would be most greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)