SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Do you knit?

SunnyCottage
11 years ago

If so, please share how long you've been knitting, and tell us about some of your projects (past, present, or future!). I learned to knit years ago - I used to have an office job that was incredibly boring and one of my coworkers taught me how ... she and I spent hours knitting at work, with the blessing of our bosses. (Ah, those were the days!) However, it's been more than 25 years since I've picked up needles and yarn, and lately I've been thinking I'd like to give it another whirl. (Maybe actually make something wearable this time - a scarf for winter, perhaps.) I've just ordered Stitch 'N B*tch by Debbie Stoller and hope I can pick up what I once knew how to do after reviewing her instructions.

Would love to hear from those who knit, so please chime in!

Comments (37)

• Jody
    11 years ago

I do knit!! But I have to admit, I'm not great at it. It seems like the only things I ever finish are shawls (simple ones) ... for some reason, I just love to knit shawls ....

and trust me, I have several: pullover sweaters, socks, etc., that are unfinished projects :(

So, now I have switched to Quilting ... and, since May, have made 3 rag quilts ... and am loving this craft.

HOWEVER, I will finish a small baby afghan for my new grandbaby .... now that's about half done and I'll get that done in a bit!!

jody

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I knit, too, but not very well. I learned when I was maybe 10, and picked it up a few times over the years but not very consistently. Never moved beyond the basic scarf! A couple of years ago, my DD, who was about 10, wanted to learn. She is very, very good at any kind of crafts and had taught herself how to sew, so I knew she'd be a good knitter. We found a teacher who charged us very little for a series of private lessons. I think we went for 4-6 weeks, an hour a week. DD took off right away, and I needed more remedial help! Here was my kid making a hat, and I was still casting on.

Long story short, I am now in a knitting group of fun women who meet once a month to knit (and have snacks and a glass of wine). Sometimes it's the only time I pick up the needles, and other times it inspires me to keep knitting every day for a week or more. I still am in the basic scarf mode, but with all the fun yarns on the market these days, you can make a really interesting scarf even if you only know the basics!

I experimented with felting, too, which was fun (and sometimes frustrating). I made a couple of felted bowls -- not easy (for me), but I'd like to go back again and try to really master it!

I can't imagine that I could ever reach Sweater Level...

• Related Discussions

How do you sew on knit materials?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm a day late on this but you might also try asking over on THS. They have a sewing forum with some very knowledgeable people. I bought my machine in the mid 60's when my oldest was about 3. It was in storage for many years so when I took it out to see if it could be used, I had a similar problem with various fabrics, tension and the feed dogs. I took it to someone who cleaned and adjusted it and it sews like a new one. Sometimes that's all it takes.
    ...See More

Help with this knitting pattern

Q

Comments (9)
    You use one each of two different size needles. The size of the needle basically only matters for the needle that receives the stitches. Let's say you're right handed. So, the empty needle in your right hand receives stitches from the needle in your left hand. (With me so far?) You have stitches on the left hand needle, which is a size 9. You have an empty size 35 needle in your right hand. So, when you are knitting the next row onto the right hand's size 35 needle, you will be creating a large stitch. When you get to the end of the row, you "switch needles" so that the size 35 needle with all of the stitches will be in your left hand, and the empty size 9 needle will be in your right hand. You then knit onto the smaller right hand needle. Those stitches will be smaller, because they will only be the size of that (smaller) needle. When you get to the end of this second row, you again swap the needles from right hand to left hand, and vice versa. It's the large stitch/small stitch that creates the particular lacy pattern of this scarf. HOWEVER --- you need to do this at the beginning and at the end of the scarf.... You should, of course, have a pair of each size needle. You need to use BOTH size 9 needles at the beginning. You will cast on using the size 9 and knit the first row onto the other size 9 needle. Then, you put down the empty size 9 needle and pick up one size 35 needle and knit the second row onto it. Knit the 3rd row onto the size 9 needle, etc., as I described above. Then, when you get to the desired length, you will need to be at a point where you will knit the next row (which will be the last row) onto the size 9 needle. Then use both size 9 needles again, to bind off loosely.
    ...See More

Where do you knit?

Q

Comments (8)
    Anyplace I get the chance! Donna, I have a friend in my Thurs. knitting group who crochets in church. When the pastor mentioned it, she told him that she listens better while crocheting and what she crochets in church are charity items. She makes it a point not to crochet anything else in church. She is more relaxed and attentive while crocheting and uses a pattern that she already knows without having to keep the pattern handy to keep looking at, so that doesn't create a distraction for her or for others. Dances, I can see you doing that! I usually knit while DH drives, but that only works when I'm not dizzy with motion sickness when driving/riding whru the mountains! Tami
    ...See More

QOD 4/16/10: Make a Quilt Day is Sunday - what are you doing?

Q

Comments (10)
    Whew, I got my two tops together so now just have to finish them. I did it again - the one that I was so excited about with the 2 fabrics did not turn out well - the 2 are too similar in tone, and the one that I thought I really messed up with on the 2nd color choice ended up looking better because there is more of a contrast. Sigh, one of these days I'll get better with my color combos. I'm always so surprised how patterns turn out in reality from what I thought they would be in my head! Learning! Karlene
    ...See More
  • golddust
    11 years ago

My mom taught me to crochet over the telephone. Made a hat in one evening. I love making baby hats and design jester type silly hats for babies. Both my boys can knit and I know how to cast on, knit and pearl but can't seem to get the tension right.

I do sew. I used to make all the kids clothing, including coats and prom dresses. Made a few baby quilts but never attempted a regular size one. I can make my own sewing patterns when inspired.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

I knit and crochet, but prefer cross stitching and garment sewing. When my son was a little boy I sewed him a red and black plaid pea coat, and knitted a matching hat, scarf and mittens.

I also knitted a bolero jacket to match a strapless dress I made for my dtr. She has since learned to knit, and beautifully.

But I really only knit or crochet if an ensemble requires it, or a kid wants
    me to. Two of my dtrs knit and crochet beautifully. My aunt could ride in the car or watch tv and knit at the same time! She always had her needles in action, making sweaters and complicated patterns. I could never do that.

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

I don't always remember how to start but know what to do once I get going. The only thing I ever tried to make was a scarf. Don't currently know how to finish something but I've never worked on anything enough to be 'done'. I got part way through making a scarf and wasn't happy with the uneven tension so I started again and never finished it. I would love to learn how to knit different hats. I don't know anyone who knows how that could show me and haven't made the time to learn myself.

Golddust - I had to read what you wrote a few times...you learned on the phone? Wow!

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

I love to knit, but really haven't gotten very far with projects. I love to make the little dishcloths because they are quick projects. Some are really complicated and pretty. The yarn shop near me has classes and I've vowed to go this fall. Our community school also has one for learning to knit socks. My mom made the point that nobody was going to want to wear knitted socks, but I thought it would be a way to learn some more advanced stitches and maybe some ways to fix my mistakes.

Beth P.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

There is a great knitting book called "Afghan in a day". It has 6 patterns, a small paper back. My eye went to the cable/fisherman's one with memories of Ireland. Not sure who the heck does this in one day, they must not do anything else while knitting.

Has been years since knitting, but easy to get back into. I didn't finish the afghan and still want to do it. My idiot cats are so fascinated while I knit and a big, darn pain to go there.

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I do! And I'd like to think I'm pretty good too! I taught myself about 7 years ago just by doing small projects (hats, scarves, mitts, etc), and I would donate them to the local Out Of The Cold program. I progressed pretty quickly to cabling and sweater patterns. Now I tend to do quicker projects and give a lot of things as gifts for Christmas. Last year I knitted 12 stockings in about a month and a half because family kept asking for them. Right now I'm working on a Cowichan style sweater (no pattern, just kind of winging it) that is turning out pretty good actually. I'm hoping to give it away for Christmas as well, but I'm not sure who will get it yet. I'll see how it's sized once it's finished.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for the input and book suggestion (I'll definitely look into it - "Afghan in a day", you say? ;-))! I'm eager to get the book that I ordered yesterday and pick up a pair of needles again to see what I can remember. I recall that back when I was knitting, I managed to make lots of knitted rectangles, but never really did anything with any of the pieces. (Probably because I never learned how to follow a pattern - I just learned how to do the stitches!) I didn't even consider how my cats will react to a ball of yarn and working needles ... may prove to be very difficult and something I'll have to sequester myself to do! Anyway, I'm encouraged and eager to give this another try.

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

I knit - and crochet as well, but knitting is my passion.
    I would knit night and day if I could. I knit for myself, my 2 daughters-in-law, my 2 granddaughters. I knit hats, sweaters, shawls, wraps, scarves. I do not knit socks or afghans. My absolute favorite knitting is lace knitting and I love transforming yarn from a ball to a garment! No offense to Michael's or JoAnn's, but I never buy their yarns. I go to a yarn shoppe in my area that sells the most beautiful yarns - my favorites are the Alpaca's from Peru. I just love knitting with yarns I know were spun in the mountains of Peru or Chile - or many that are done here in the states.
    I have been knitting for about five years (got a really late start) and while I do go to a class periodically, I am mostly self-taught - and mostly through the internet.
    There are countless instructional websites and countless Youtube videos. Of course, some are better than others - but most are helpful.
    Just last night I was trying to figure out a particular stitch and just came and sat by my computer with yarn and videos until I figured it out.
    I would suggest you get some worsted weight yarn and size 10 needles to start practicing. Start with very simple cast-on and then knit and purl. Then look for a pattern for something very, very simple. There are thousands on the net. Try the Lion Brand website - thousands of patterns there --- and of course, any question, please let me know via the board or private email. I love passing along this treasured craft to others.
    Good luck!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, no-green-thumb! I appreciate your very helpful, insightful and encouraging advice. You are inspiring me so much!

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

You are so welcome. Knitting and crocheting are my current passion --- and part of my love of the craft is the frustration. I stress and rip out and read and watch videos and then when it finally comes together, it is euphoric! Not all projects are so challenging, but some are. Of course, then it seems that once I figure out the pattern, the challenge is gone and I just want to finish - but I love taking a piece of "string" and literally transforming it into wearable art. I do purses as well - those are loads of fun!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

A long-ago knitter here, too! All I ever made were scarves since I never learned how to drop a stitch. I always envied people who did the 'fancy stuff'.

Something I've always wanted to try is making a rag rug, of all things! I know you have to sew all those strips of fabric together and that sounds like one big boring headache. I think you then just knit it all together once you decide on a size/shape~wait a minute, I think it's crocheted! Anyway, I want a leopard print so would need to figure out how to get the 'spots'. I know how to crochet probably better than knit. ;o)

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I do knit but I am pretty bad at it. I don't enjoy having to count and concentrate, but I do enjoy simple projects like easy scarves and washcloths.

I knit washcloths from 100% cotton yarn, and they shrink when you first wash them, just enough to tighten up and get a little more robust, so they make great face-scrubbing washcloths.

My friend knitted me one out of twine that works like a loofah. What a great gift--it's been in daily use for 3 years and is as good as new.

I have tried to learn to crochet because I always wanted to be able to make granny squares, but so far, I haven't been able to learn. People patiently show me how to do it, and I can do it as I sit there beside them....but then when I am home alone I am lost.

Maybe when I retire ;-)

• golddust
    11 years ago

Patty, I want to learn how to make rag rugs. I love them!!!

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

As I said above, use the internet. I just went on and in a few minutes got enough info. that if I wanted to make a rag rug, I could easily. There is even a technique for binding the strips together that does not involve sewing - very easy. Some YouTube videos are better and others --- all of them try to be helpful! --- so watch several until you find one that speaks to you and your needs. I am a visual person so find it so much easier than trying to follow diagrams in a book. YMMV

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Thank you no-green-thumb! I took a quick look on the net and there are many different instructions, from braiding to crocheting. Will make that decision when I'm ready to start that project. ;o)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

what an inspiring thread; I used to knit a lot when my kids were little, sweaters and hats mostly. I was quite good at it if I remember well !! I located a yarn shop that looks good in my area and am determined to go there this week and get started on a blanket of some kind.

I also still have my old Beehive pattern books somewhere, I must find them !

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

I love yarn shops, although there is one that I patronize almost exclusively. I am just loyal to her as the proprietor is so helpful.
    Mitch, unless you are very, very patient, a blanket may be a huge undertaking. Blankets are more easily crocheted as crochet goes so much faster than knitting. Just wanted you to be fore-warned!
    If you are into hats and have any grandchildren, look at the book "Itty Bitty Hats" by Susan B. Anderson. It is my favorite book. I have knitted so many hats for my granddaughters - and even did one style for their mom as well. It was black and white striped, then I got a boa which was black, white and pink and did feathers on top - so cute. There are so many different hats in that book - all a variation of a theme - 16" size 7 circular needles.
    They are relatively easy to do - then get to the point of the double pointed needles. I do the "magic loop" instead of double points. I find it easier. Check out the book!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so happy to read the input here! I've been looking online (Pinterest, mostly) at easy/beginner knitting patterns. Of all things, I think I first want to make a few washcloths. I've also found some excellent tutorials online ... Youtube is an absolute font of information!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

thanks for the tip, no green, I meant throw as opposed to blanket�.
    I'll look into those hats for sure !

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

This thread has also inspired me!

I haven't knitted for years; however, I'm going to try and make a sweater coat. I am quite obsessive and once I start a project, I keep on going like a Timex. (Unless I stop and then put the project aside and never look at it again. :))

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

Sunny -- just watch the yarn for dishcloths. You would probably want a cotton - like Sugar 'n Cream. But that is an all cotton yarn - and most all cottons (unless the really high end that are blended with something else) - don't have much give so they are a little more difficult to knit with.
    Mitch --- do a shawl - there are a zillion patterns for triangular shawls - so easy. You just start at the point and usually increase every other row - and voila! - a beautiful wrap.
    Marlene, I am quite obsessive as well -- which is why one of my cardinal rules is not to bring any more yarn in this house than I know I am going to use. I just don't buy yarn because I love it or it is on sale. I am so obsesses with knitting and crocheting that I would drive myself crazy with all of the things waiting in the wings.
    I usually have one knit and one crochet project going at the same time. Also, if I have done a particularly difficult or time-consuming project, I make the next one a little kinder to my nervous system! Although I just finished a sweater and I am now working on a hat pattern that is giving me fits - and one of those where I know exactly what to do - but I have torn it out more times than I want to remember. It has a bunch of short rows which then get connected into pleats. I now have figured out what I need to do to keep them straight - and will hopefully accomplish that tonight.

• mmh1
    11 years ago

I started knitting almost four years ago and love it! My first projects were scarves and hats. Then I moved onto shawls and this past year I finally learned to knit socks. Are you familiar with Ravelry(online forum for those who knit and crotchet)? I find wonderful free patterns on it and people post pictures and details about their projects, tons of information to be found here.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, no-green-thumb, for the tip on what kind of yarn to use for dishcloths! Maybe it's silly, but I'm actually quite stoked about making some of those simple little squares!

mmh1, thanks so much for recommending Ravelry. I have never heard of it, but will definitely check it out. Sounds like there's quite a bit of inspiration to be found there.

My "Stitch 'n B*tch" book arrived yesterday, and aside from containing detailed instructions on how to do a number of different stitches, it's just a darn cute book. What fun this is going to be!

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

Sunny - if you want to knit dishcloths, then do! I think people should knit or crochet whatever makes their heart sing! I absolutely love knitting hats for my granddaughters. They have so many ---- waiting for a few more grands! --
    I know someone who loves to knit socks. I have no desire to --- however, maybe someday - who knows.
    I have not knit or crocheted afghans - although I have done baby blankets.
    I also love to do purses - great fun as I can combine sewing as well - I sew linings for them.
    So do whatever makes you happy!! And I think dishcloths are a good place to start. They are easy and fast. I have seen people who pick first projects that are way too complicated, then give up in frustration.
    Ravelry is a great source. I could spend hours and hours on knitting and crocheting sites - quite addictive.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no-green-thumb, I'm linking to the pattern for dishcloths that I found online. I think they're so sweet! Do you think this would be easy enough to start with, once I (re)learn how to do the basic stitches?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandmother's Favorite Dischcloth

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

I do --- and I will try this out tonight - I think size 6 might be too small - maybe a 7 needle - or maybe even an 8.
    Darn - Just remembered my DIL has all of my scrap yarn so I can't try it with Sugar and Cream. If you look, you are starting at one corner, (bottom right), then increasing until you reach the middle (top right corner, bottom left corner). Then you start decreasing until you get to the other corner, (top left). It is a garter stitch (all knit) -
    Do a long-tail cast-on - I am sure that is in the book - or on the internet --- just sit in front of the computer screen. Cat Bordhi has some great You Tubes --- some are almost like she is talking to a child - but she is good.
    Then you need the yo (yarn over) which creates the holes, then the K2tog (knit 2 together) -- that makes the decreases ---
    Sugar and Cream yarn is about 2.29 a ball - so really cheap.
    Let me know if you have any questions. It may at first seem like you are getting nowhere - and you are all thumbs -- but persevere - it is worth it.
    I would start by casting on about 15 stitches and just practice knitting back and forth for awhile. HTH

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, n-g-t! I have actually just ordered needles (set of 3 - sizes 6, 7, and 8 from Amazon) - and since it's been so long since I've attempted to knit, I discovered that there are "new" needles (well, new to me!) - bamboo, double-pointed, and circular. I just went with the old aluminum standbys that I've used before. I'm curious about the other types of needles though. Circular looks like something that could thoroughly confuse a person, and the double pointed look a bit dangerous! ;-)

I also ordered a skein of Sugar and Cream yarn. I know I could have found these things for slightly less $ in a store rather than buying from Amazon, but I didn't know when I'd have an opportunity to shop and I really want to give it a go this weekend!

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes once I've remembered how to cast on and get going!

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

will respond re: needles at a later time ---busy at work - there are soooo many different ones - I have quite a collection -- if you want, send me an email through GW and we can correspond that way - I won't post my email address here

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No worries - I completely understand being busy at work! I don't see an email tab when I click your "My Page". Feel free to send me an email - if a tab is showing up for me.

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

changed my preferences

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

Sunny, those Grandmother's favorite dishcloths are easy to make. It's good because you don't have to think too hard or count much. My mom cranks them out.
    Beth P.

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

Sunny - sent you an email responding to your email questions regarding needles --- just want to make sure you got it - sometimes emails go to junk --- just checking ---

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi n-g-t - I didn't receive your email, but will send you a message and give you my personal email instead of my work address. Sorry, not sure what the problem is!

I am happy to report that I cast on and knitted quite a few rows yesterday! At first I felt all thumbs, but after awhile the rhythm of the stitches really did come back to me! The book I bought ("Stitch 'n B*tch") instructed how to do a double cast on. I tried that, but didn't really like the feel of it. I found a Youtube tutorial that gave very slow, specific instructions for casting on single stitches, and that's the method that I had originally learned years ago. It just felt more "normal" somehow. Now, I just have to learn how to do the "yarn over" thing so that I can make the dischcloths!

• no_green_thumb
    11 years ago

Lookin' good - glad you are having fun.
    Be careful about dropped stitches. If you drop one, you have to pick it back up --- it will eventually run down your work like a nylon stocking --- so beware!
    Boucle is a nice yarn - not as easy to work with as some smoother yarns as you can't see your stitches as well.