SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

How much variation would you tolerate in the door width of uppers

LE
10 years ago

We have a 20" upper to one side (left) of a window. Other cabs are in the range of 15" on the other side (2 at 15, then a 12 that combines with a 9 to make an easy-reach corner. I think the ones on the other side of the chimney hood are also 15."

Our architect really doesn't like this because the 20" cab is so different from the others. (We have not paid him to design the kitchen other than in outline form, but he's "on call" on an hourly basis, so we run things by him.

I get the impression he'd prefer to close off the corner and not use that space if it allowed evening out of the door sizes, but I think the kitchen is the one place that function trumps form, if it's up to me (which it ultimately is, I suppose, or at least halfway.) I don't think the difference is one that would have bothered me if it had not been pointed out, but maybe now it will! Thoughts?

The only think I can think of is to add a stack of wine cubbies to the left of it, then it could go down to closer to 15" like the other guys. (These are slabs, 42" to ceiling, stacked, top stack at 15.5, if that matters)

Not looking to redesign the whole kitchen, but we are giving the specs to our cabinetmaker this week, and after that, wood is getting cut.

I did not realize until I measured every last thing in my current kitchen that the cabs on one side of my stove are 21 inches and on the other side, they are 24" so maybe I have a high tolerance for variability?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz