SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpg2004

looking for layout feedback

mpg2004
10 years ago

Hi again,

We are looking to remodel our kitchen, and I would love some feedback on the following layouts. I posted our current layout about a week ago, and really appreciate the feedback I got. I've thought a lot about the suggestions I got and came up with these ideas.

I've created these layouts using the NKBA's virtual planner, which has really helped me to visualize the space, but the layouts below are very much works in progress! The “wall” labeled B is actually totally open to the family room. The eat-in area does have beveled walls and the door cannot be moved within the scope of our project. The tables seem to come in fixed sizes in the NKBA program; ours is a bit smaller. I also couldn't figure out how to draw in the island overhang, it’s about 9”. Our aisles are all at least 36”, which works ok for us.

One of our headaches is figuring out a good place to put the fridge. We've got kids who seem to eat more every day, so we really want to figure out a way to fit in a standard sized fridge. Wall “A” is load-bearing, and we've gotten mixed opinions from the different contractors we've talked to about recessing the fridge into that wall. We've got a wall oven & microwave in the cabinet labeled #7 (#4 in the peninsula plan).

So, I would love to hear which layout you prefer -- and why!

Here’s some info:
Option 1: keeps our island downdraft gas cooktop, and moves the fridge into the old desk area. The narrow pantry to the left of the fridge would actually be a shallow “command center” set of shelves facing into the family room. I am concerned the fridge would be too far away with this set-up. There IS about 9" of counter space behind the cooktop, just couldn't get that to render.

Option 2: moves the cooktop to the wall shared with the dining room and adds in an external vent hood. This has the additional cost of adding in venting and a new cooktop (the current one is only 2 years old), so I don’t know if this change is worth it. It would give a nice open island. We’re also considering switching from gas to induction.

Option 3: also moves the cooktop to the wall and has a peninsula instead of an island. I couldn't figure out how to draw in the overhang on the peninsula, but I envision seating there, facing into the kitchen. This seems very open in the middle of the kitchen, am I wasting space with this plan?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

thanks,
Michelle

ps I know I got a lot of suggestions to take down the wall between the kitchen and dining room when I was first looking for layout ideas. We have thought about that A LOT, but have decided that what makes the most sense for us and this house is to keep the spaces separate. We really want to work within the footprint of the current kitchen. thanks!

This post was edited by mpg2004 on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 1:43

Comments (12)