SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chervena_chuska

Deciding between HVAC bids

chervena_chuska
9 years ago

Hoping to get some advice on what system to go with. We are building a 1700 sq foot, 2 story modular home with attached garage and future 480 sq foot bonus room over the garage (will be unfinished at first, but we will finish the interior within about a year). We are doing exterior foam insulation for R-24 in walls and R-49 in ceilings. The ResCheck says 17% better than code and heat load of 39,000 BTU/hr for -10 degrees. 2583 sq ft of conditioned area not including the future bonus room in the garage. We will live in SE WI close to the lake.

We considered a geothermal heat pump and got quotes for a dual fuel system with a 2 stage natural gas furnace sized for 15 degrees of about $21,000 (keeping in mind all registers/returns are already done in the modular home) and a straight geothermal system of about $23,000. They both quoted a horizontal loop field because we'll have 10 acres to work with.

However, when I started looking into the actual costs it looked like we wouldn't save much money over a high efficiency natural gas system and we didn't really have the extra funds to shell out based solely on principle.

I am a little confused about what would be best for our set up. I've heard zoning makes your system oversized when you aren't using all zones. The bonus room would be used as an office (I work from home) and guest room/play room.

So I have quotes from 3 contractors I am trying to sort through.
Option 1: Trane system with $900 ductwork suggesting a separate zone for the garage bonus room at an additional $900 for the ductwork/dampers.
XV95 2 stage variable speed furnace $3800.00 OR
XC95 modulating variable speed furnace $4670.00 (includes thermostat which it requires)
AC
1. XB13 single stage $2625.00 OR
2. XL16i single stage $4290.00 OR
3. XR17 2-stage $4800.00
I would think because we only have maybe 5-6 weeks when AC is truly needed that we would go with the XB13.
TOTAL = $8225 for XV furnace and XB13 AC (including bonus room zoning/ductwork). Seems like the best deal.

Option 2: Lennox system $7367
One Lennox Elite EL296UH070XV36B 96% 2-stage variable speed furnace
One Waterfurnace Cased coil for a future Geothermal dual fuel system
One Lennox Healthy Climate 10 MERV air cleaner with an extra filter upon completion
Honeywell Focus PRO 5000 non-programmable thermostat.
Low Voltage Wiring
Plus: Merit 13ACX-030 13 SEER R-410a AC unit for additional $856
TOTAL = $8223

Option 3: Armstrong
(1) Armstrong 95% efficient two-stage variable speed 45,000 BTU furnace
(1) Armstrong 13 SEER 2 1/2 ton central air conditioners
Nest learning thermostat
Nothing for garage bonus room (recommended getting separate in wall unit for AC in bonus room and space heater/baseboard units for heat).
TOTAL = $8936 for everything

Any informed opinions would be appreciated!
We don't know yet how we'll insulate the bonus room. I was considering spray foam (perhaps DIY).

Thanks!

This post was edited by chervena_chuska on Mon, May 12, 14 at 1:34

Comments (9)