SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Learning to knit

jenn
16 years ago

I went to Joann's last night to buy some yarn for a baby quilt I'm finishing today. In the same aisle I saw some booklets to learn how to knit and crochet. I did a little knitting years ago and actually finished an easy baby blanket which I gave away as a gift.

I'm yearning to learn to knit well enough to make any project, so I bought the Learn-to-Knit Lion Brand Yarn Booklet to get started. It explains the common stitches, repairs, and finishing methods, and also includes several easy projects.

My first projects will be winter scarves. I can't think of a better way to practice and perfect the stitches than something as straight-forward as that. I can wear them in winter and give some as gifts.

Beyond this booklet, what would be the best way to continue to learn? Should I take a class at a local shop, or get another book with more details and clear instructions/photos?

The booklet projects include two sweaters for beginners. Can a beginner really complete a sweater without additional training beyond this booklet? I'm willing to learn on-line or through books, though I think a hands-on classroom approach with an experienced teacher can provide instruction possibly not found in any book.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to get started and continue learning.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions