SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Learning to knit

jenn
16 years ago

I went to Joann's last night to buy some yarn for a baby quilt I'm finishing today. In the same aisle I saw some booklets to learn how to knit and crochet. I did a little knitting years ago and actually finished an easy baby blanket which I gave away as a gift.

I'm yearning to learn to knit well enough to make any project, so I bought the Learn-to-Knit Lion Brand Yarn Booklet to get started. It explains the common stitches, repairs, and finishing methods, and also includes several easy projects.

My first projects will be winter scarves. I can't think of a better way to practice and perfect the stitches than something as straight-forward as that. I can wear them in winter and give some as gifts.

Beyond this booklet, what would be the best way to continue to learn? Should I take a class at a local shop, or get another book with more details and clear instructions/photos?

The booklet projects include two sweaters for beginners. Can a beginner really complete a sweater without additional training beyond this booklet? I'm willing to learn on-line or through books, though I think a hands-on classroom approach with an experienced teacher can provide instruction possibly not found in any book.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to get started and continue learning.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions
More Discussions