SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

How long have you been on this site?

threedgrad
13 years ago

Just wondering how long everyone has been on this site? Do you remember why you joined? What has been some of your best experiences here?

Comments (71)

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I love, love, love all the presonalities on this forum. I have always loved dry, sarcastic humor and we have plenty of that here. And my gosh, les. I can't believe you were kicked off! What the heck did you do?

Back to the assignment. I signed up in 2007 after googling kitchen remodeling items and questions. Stayed on the Kitchen Forum and then came over here. I have received so much help from both forums and will always be grateful. Having all my virtual friends is the icing on the cake. (And I do love frosting.)

• natal
    13 years ago

And my gosh, les. I can't believe you were kicked off! What the heck did you do?

Of all the people I've come across through the years (and it's close to 10 years now) ... you would be one of the last I would have expected to hear that from.

I started on the gardening side in the early 2000s. Spent a few years on the CF, until I caught a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes. I enjoy this forum, because for the most part people here don't play games.

• Related Discussions

It has been a long time since I have use this site

Q

Comments (1)
    Scroll down to the bottom of this page. In the Green bar You will see "Members page"! click on that ! now you will see a list of options. Click on edit trade list!!! now you can up date it! when you are done be sure to click on submit at the bottom of the page. Now you are there! hope this helps.
    ...See More

How long have you been Winter Sowing?

Q

Comments (49)
    This is my 2nd year WS though I've only recently started posting on these forums. I don't even quite remember how I 1st discovered wintersown.org. I tend to stumble upon so many things when doing internet searches on growing different plants. Anyway the method made total sense to me and how could I resist trying with Trudi's offer for free seeds. I believe my very 1st babies were poppies (I so love poppies) and I never had much luck with growing them before WS. So glad I found you guys! I learn so much by reading these forums. -StLGirl
    ...See More

How long have you been growing palms?

Q

Comments (30)
    I got my oldest potted palm, my queen palm as a seedling at a trip to Florida when I was around 8. Once I got that palm I was definitely hooked and every year when my mom planted annuals, I'd pick out a palm or 2 to go by the pool. So if you include that, I've been growing palms for over a decade which is kind of hard to believe for me! I learned about cold hardy palms during that time, but I didn't plant my first palm in the ground until I was probably about 14-15 which was only about 5 years ago. I've killed lots of palms in the process, I lost one of my favorites this winter, my butia because I'm not home a lot during this time of the year. I also let a lot of plants die outside this winter because I don't have the room for them all indoors, but I still brought in around 100 plants so there will be more than enough to take out in a few weeks! It's a hobby of losses and gains, the only thing that I can say for sure is that my yard gets fuller and fuller every summer. The difference from 2009 to now is incredible but I still have a lot to learn (but not a lot of space left!). My goal for this spring is to try and increase my palm and plumeria collection, I have a lot of plans for this summer! haha -Alex
    ...See More

How long have you been quilting?

Q

Comments (32)
    Carol: I used to feel the same way, but then I actually tried free-motion machine quilting. My work is completely hand guided, done without drawn patterns 95% of the time, and worked on a treadle sewing machine, so I don't feel that I've lost that connection with the quilt that handquilting always gave me. I actually feel like I have more freedom of expression as the process is like drawing. It's also very challenging to do well and I like a challenge! I'm not trying to talk you out of hand quilting, because I love doing that, too. I'm just suggesting that machine quilting might be a little different than you remember. Google "Hollis Chatelaine" and I think you'll see what I mean. As far as books on pictorial quilts--It's a hot trend in quilting and there are dozens of books on the subject now. I'm including a link for you to look at, but be warned, it lists dozens of books on the subject of pictorial and art quilts, plus books on embellishments, new techniques, etc...so you are going to want to allow yourself a couple of hours to browse through it. Art quilting has come a long way in the past 20 years. When Caryl Bryer Fallert won Best of Show at the American Quilter's Society Show (the most prestigious show in the world) for a machine-quilted art quilt in 1989, the judges received almost universal criticism from the main-stream quilting world, but the precedent was set and now such quilts regularly win at the major shows. There are several art quilting forums on the net and you might want to check them out--they are going to know much more about the subject than I do. Annie Here is a link that might be useful: Index to pictorial and art quilt books
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    13 years ago

I registered in 2005, but lurked before and after. I found the site googling for dupioni curtain panels, and found the source here I've used ever since. My first memory is of Johnmari, whose way with words hooked me instantly. I often wanted to join in, but never felt I knew as much as those who were frequent contributors. I still don't, but I join in anyway. I do love the obsessiveness we all seem to share. I recently went to North Carolina with my daughter to look at chairs. She is usually my decorating buddy, and tells me truthfully what she thinks of any recent plans. But, as we were travelling back to Ohio, and I was having buyer's remorse, saying "I hate those chairs. I know I made a mistake", she said, "Mom. I DO NOT want to talk furniture one more minute! I will poke my ears out!" That doesn't happen here.

And, Les, YES, give it up! When did your banishment happen? I remember when someone here, who was inclined to be a bit nasty, singled you out for their bullying, and you voluntarity left, much to the disappointment of most everyone else, but your banishment must have happened before my time. We need details!
    Dee

• susan209
    13 years ago

It's been six years but it doesn't feel like that long, I read here every day but don't contribute too often, I enjoy this site so much. There's laughter, joy, tears and heartbreak and just the nicest people in the world right here. Everyone is so knowledgeable and if you want to know something there are many who will jump in and try to help you out. Thanks for the ride.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

My profile says I joined on Mar 8, 2002. I started out in the appliances forum because we were remodeling our kitchen. Got to know a lot of people over there so I hung on for another year after the project was done. Eventually I got tired of reading and answering the same questions over and over. After you've bought all your appliances it isn't as interesting anymore to talk about all the new models coming out. Now that the kitchen was done I could focus on decorating so I started hanging out on this forum. Been here a long time although not so much lately. Partly due to a busy schedule and, to be frank, I find the forum not as much fun as it used to be. Many of the long-time frequent posters are gone, some forced out by that ball-buster who replaced Skip. Unfortunately the more colorful people who kept this forum lively with their interesting topics have been banned and what we're left with are boring discussions about paint colors.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I've been posting here since 7-22-03. I actually would've sworn it had been longer than that, to tell the truth!

Funny, I thought the same thing when I checked my user ID. Because some pretty big things happened in my life in the couple years prior to 2002, and I could have sworn I had shared some of it here. Maybe when Spike sold to iVillage there was a hiccup in the system software or something.

• deborahnj
    13 years ago

I found this forum while looking for information on furniture in the early 2000's when you had to pay a fee to join and post. My profile says I joined in 2005 but I know it was earlier than that. I definitely lurked for a long time and finally posted a question about decorating my foyer. I went by Hamptod then and there was a change and we had to change names but I don't remember why. I have always lurked way more than posting because often people say what I'm thinking so I often refrain. If I feel really strongly about something I will post but I'm usually quiet :-)

I miss a bunch of folks who no longer post here but this is and has become part of my daily ritual! I drink my coffee in the morning and catch up with the threads, read conversations, head over to KT and finally HT. I also check the boards in the evening before I go to bed.

I've learned so much from this board and I talk about you guys to my family and friends and of course they look at me like I'm crazy :-) In the end, this board definitely helped me become a more confident decorator and for that I will be forever grateful!

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie! I guess it has been about a year. I was searching for image pics of paint colors and ended up on the HD site. In addition to the unbelievable education in HD I am getting, I love the funny stories, and witty humor lurking in some of the posts. Just a wonderful place to get sucked into! Many a dinner has been late, or burned while I am in HD dream land........

• natal
    13 years ago

Many of the long-time frequent posters are gone, some forced out by that ball-buster who replaced Skip. Unfortunately the more colorful people who kept this forum lively with their interesting topics have been banned and what we're left with are boring discussions about paint colors.

What's that all about? Must have been long before I found this place.

Maybe when Spike sold to iVillage there was a hiccup in the system software or something.

I think there was a major hiccup back then. Lowercase names was part of it. That ticked off a lot of people for some reason. ;)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

March 4, 2003. That means I signed on when we were planning the kitchen in our then new old house (two houses ago now). The interim house we elected not to do anything to the kitchen, so I was mostly on the decorating forums then. In the current house, we gutted the kitchen again, so I was back on the KF with a vengeance.

The current house is MCM, so I don't post a lot on the decorating forum anymore. There are a dozen or so MCM folks on the board, but most folks are traditional/transitional and some apparently even have violent physical reactions to anything MCM. When I chime in it is usually more on space planning issues, or maybe rugs, than on actual furniture choices.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I think my member-page says I joined in Aug. '06...
    I didn't think people here have been suffering thru my babbling for 4+ years now...WOW!

I think I stumbled upon this site when looking for info. relative to what people are saying about paints/painting. I remember Brushworks posts on the Paint forum. He's one of the VERY knowledgeable people out there. Anyone know where he is???

I LOVE the personal humor, and intersting topics that get generated on this side! I'm STILL giving Auntjen major cudos for clueing me into the Tripadvisor site. That led to me discovering the Maui Four Seasons, where we stayed last June '09. I'm forever in love with that place, thanks to her!!

All the other friends I've discovered here, from all over the country, you're very important to me...even though I'll probably never meet any of you!
    You'd think SOMEONE would come to meet me, especially with OUR winters!!!

Faron

• natal
    13 years ago

Brushworks posts on Hot Topics.

• jlc712
    13 years ago

I found this site when we first bought and started remodeling our house in 1999-2000. I remember getting very helpful advice on paint colors!!

There was a Trying To Conceive/Pregnancy board at that time where I spent a lot of time. It fell apart when it went to a pay site.

I didn't come around much for a while. The last few years I check in pretty much daily! I enjoy both the decorating side and the conversation side. Such interesting people and discussions.

:) Jen

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

First registered on November 23, 2004.

I found Garden Web via a Google search for "fun color information". It was - and still is - the only decorating forum where members know a lot about and have used a wide range of products and colors. Especially the boutique lines.

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

Since 2004, which was a couple of houses ago.

I float in and out as far as posting - I'm currently a late-in-life student, so it's a little hit-and-miss. I also hang out on the Cooking Forum.

• les917
    13 years ago

You know, it was a long time ago, and before I ever was on this board. I was on the craft board all the time. There was a discussion going on about pedophile priests, and evidently Spike didn�t like something I said (or someone else didn�t, and complained). Anyway, I got sent to the teacups at Disney. Trust me that I didn�t say anything unkind or attack anyone on the discussion site. It was about people defending the indefensible, as far as I was concerned

So I was gone for quite a while. Tried periodically to get back in, but no luck. Then some kind soul(sorry, I don�t recall who it was) e-mailed me and said things had changed, the board was no longer pay to play (tho I had paid when it was, before I was dismissed) and I should try again. I was pleased to get back here.

Deeinohio, that other incident was not fun, but the large number of people that came out on my behalf and offered words of support was amazing. I printed out that very long thread, and have it tucked away with things that represent special moments in my life.

I may never get to be a home decorator or have a job in the field, but this place feeds that part of me and also helps me learn something every time I come here. Plus, as I said, it is a gathering place for a wonderful group!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Les: Thanks for filling us in. I KNEW it couldn't be about anything you said to anyone. That would have been so totally out of character for you. Everyone here is very fortunate you came back, and I'm happy you're posting more frequently now than you have for a while.
    Dee

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Febuary 26, 2001 but I've been on here longer - probably since late 1999. We didn't need profiles back then you just had to give an email address. I was upset because I couldn't think of a name & finally figured to use Roselvr - then as was mentioned, we lost the capital letter. Spike, the owner of GW at that time decided he wanted everyone to have a user name/ profile which we all did unwillingly. I still have the bumper sticker & T shirt from when we had to pay to get rid of ads.

I originally searched for Hydrangea information & landed here; then left but came back for roses.

I've never been banned, although I've been "Spiked" a few times too many & am surprised I was never sent to Disney. Mentioning one wrong word would send you to Disney. A lot of people to this day have no clue why they were sent to Disney. It also could be for mentioning the name of someone banned.

I started coming to HD when we were staging the house for sale. I don't remember who originally offended me but it took me a while to come back here after my 1st post. One of these days we'll be caught up on money & will be able to decorate this new house.

• natal
    13 years ago

A lot of people to this day have no clue why they were sent to Disney. It also could be for mentioning the name of someone banned.

Or Overstock.com or Dave's Garden.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

I've been a member for about a year. After 10 or so years of lurking, I finally decided I should join. I continue to mainly lurk; as someone else said, usually I'd be repeating what has been said already.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Johnmarie's posts; she can be extremely insightful as well as wickedly funny!! lol

I also enjoy Faron's posts, because we travel out to FM three to four times a year - in fact we are leaving Thursday for Concordia.

It's good to see Oceanna and threedgrad again.

Everyone is friendly and helpful; and respectfully disagree when they do disagree.

• lukesmom
    13 years ago

Joined May, 2005. My main interest at that time was kitchen counters. I rarely post, but check in a couple or more times a week.

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

I have been on Garden Web, following Daylilies, then happend to jump over here about a year ago. I come to the decor side AND the conversations every day. I come home from school and relax reading what you all write. I don't know why I don't contribute, kinda selfish! I just love lurking and getting good advice on decor, books, recipes, and all other topics. SO, thank you all for being here, and I will try to contribute, but you all do so nicely on your own. Thank you "imaginary friends."

Pat
    http://thebestmoments-pat.blogspot.com/

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

OK les, I feel better for why you were kicked off. For some reason I was thinking boob lights was a term not allowed by Spike.

• les917
    13 years ago

Pretty sure Spike would not have allowed boob lights! LOL

Thanks for the nice comments, Dee and Kitchenkelly. I do have an evil side, but that time it wasn�t involved. =8-P

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I'm new to the Conversation side of Decorating forum but have been on GW since '02. I think I started with Butterfly Gardening and the Florida Forum. Found the Home Site side when we got our two Mini-labradoodles and needed help from the Pet Forum. Then when we started remodeling, I used many sites on the Home side.

I have met many people that I have sent seeds, plants, even caterpillars to through the mail. Got lots back in return. Found support for loss of our dear Chelsea, the Brittany, and our stillborn grandaughter, Margeaux. Have said prayers for lots who are facing health issues and had prayers said for me. There are many good, helpful, kind people on these sites. I look forward to visiting daily.

• xantippe
    13 years ago

How fun to read about how you all came here! I can't remember how I found GW. My profile says March, 2006, which I suppose is plausible, but it feels like longer than that! That was the loooooong month we spent waiting for the keys of our first house, and the month we booked our wedding venue. Such a long time ago!

I love the people here, and the sense of being a community, even if we never meet--or know each other's real names.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Mboston, you sound like the dearest, sweetest lady. No wonder your dh massages your feet every night! You're a treasure.

Btw, do y'all still go to any of the AAPM meetings? My dh went to Philly last year, but I didn't go. He went to summer school in Houston the year before that & I did join him on that trip. Vancouver is coming up this year, & that is one amazing city! I hope to go, but I don't really know at this point. Maybe I'll see you at a meeting someday!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I joined two and a half years ago when I was dabbling in roses. Then I quickly jumped over to decorating, my first love.

I remember bellaflora and aunt Jean and of course johnmari and magaverde, lynnfromnewmexico and allison, Brutuses, just to name a few.

.....Jane

• golddust
    13 years ago

Whatever happened to Squirrel?

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks Stinky-gardener for the compliment. DH hasn't gone to many meetings recently, other than the Florida Chapter. He has been to Vegas several times for training on the new equipment but I haven't gone- too hot for me.

I have been to a few of the big ones, think the last one was in Chicago. We went to Victoria and Vancover one year on vacation. I love Victoria!

If you would like to chat - you can email me through my page on GW. I tried to go through yours but it didn't give me an email addy.

One of the guys that used to work with my husband in the AF has been in Virginia for sometime. He has a consulting business for Medical Physicist. Your hsuband would probably know him. As you said - there aren't too many of them, especially old schoolers.

• User
    13 years ago

"Or Overstock.com or Dave's Garden"
    Huh?

I believe Squirrel was taking some time away from the boards. I hope she comes back.

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

I joined in 2007 for the garden stuff first and then I found the decorating board right about the time we bought this house. I don't have any friends around here to share my love of nesting with so I really appreciate being able to pop on the boards and share it with other folks who are interested in the same things.

And a big thank you to all that have been helping me turn our house into a home.

• natal
    13 years ago

Shee, at one time you couldn't write Overstock.com. I'm guessing something to do with ad revenue. People got around it by writing a capital O.

Dave's Garden is a site that was started by a disgruntled GardenWeb member. No idea what went down, but that was back in the days Spike owned the place. You still can't post a link to Dave's Garden.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

MBoston, I sent you an e-mail from your GW page. Wanted to let you know, just in case you don't receive it.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Les, years ago on the craft side, you gave me a GREAT idea for a 50th anniversary party called "just desserts" for my parents. "Things" happened and the party didn't get to take place, but I told my father all about it before he passed away and he was very touched. I thank you sooo much!
    You've helped me here as well on the decor side~
    You all have, you've been very kind and I appreciate it! Just adore decorating....
    Been a member since July 24, 2007 it says but that can't be true...been longer than that~ :)

• les917
    13 years ago

Loribee, how kind of you to mention that. I am pleased that I was of help, and it touches my heart to know that your dad enjoyed the idea. It has been a rough week, and you have just put a huge smile on my face. Thank you.

I really loved the craft forum in those days. It was a very busy place, but that was when craft shows and crafting were hot! I especially had fun writing poems for people. Good workout for my brain!

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

So what happened to Color Me Confused, anyone know. Anita was a hoot.

I had to give you ALL credit for a comment I recently received while shopping for my sofas. I mentioned different colors of tan being too green or a grey being too blue. The designer commented that she rarely comes across anyone with such an eye for color, the ability to see how the shades differ. I just smiled and silently thought of all I have learned on this site.

Thanks to all of you my sofas will have the right shade of brown to compliment the other colors in my home.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I started in Roses and then went to Antique Roses and then over here. I, too, had one email address and then had to switch. I've been sent to the teacups more times than I can count (Antique Roses was surprisingly argumentative--mentioning the name of a certain rose breeder got people banned.)

• loribee
    13 years ago

See how much we learn here??? :)

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I came to Gardenweb in 1999. Things were free for a while and then we paid for a while. Registration date only reflects the time since it went from pay back to free.
    I enjoy the deco forum because I learn a lot, enjoy the banter and appreciate the really caring people who frequent the board.
    Thanks for letting me stay ;^)

• User
    13 years ago

I just joined last year. I was looking for decorating ideas when I came across the discussion side, I didnt know about this side. I posted something I guess I shouldnt of on the other side and was told it had been moved over here. Glad it was.

• Kathy Greer
    4 years ago

I just found a copy of a post from August of 2002, so guess it's been a while. Got alot, I mean ALOT, of good book suggestions and quite a few good book discussions over the years. After all these years it almost feels like I know some of these posters.

• Kathy Greer
    4 years ago

BTW, did Houzz change the default page for the Reader's Paradise stuff? My old link is taking me to a more generic page. Not even sure if this is one of the Reader's Paradise threads.

• ginny12
    3 years ago

Just checking if I can figure out how to post anymore. from Ginny12

• cooperbailey
    3 years ago

Too bad the site was sold to Houzz. Otherwise I would still be on here. Miss it.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Aw, CooperBailey...named for your two goldens, if I recall correctly. I have wondered about You over the years. I’m mostly on the conversation side. Why don’t you come over?

formerly

Leah Cate

• cooperbailey
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don’t even know where that is. Would love to reconnect I just notifications from houzz now and again what is the link please!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Thank you, moxie. Hope cooper bailey sees it!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES