SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrustyw

American Standard Accuclean and HVAC system

jrustyw
15 years ago

I had spring service on the HVAC unit this week and the tech had to clean cat hair off the coils to the tune of $400. He said it was 'like concrete on there'. He said this was probably a result of us removing the carpet from the house as the pet hair now would not be trapped by the carpet and would be more likely to get into the HVAC system. One of the options he suggested was installing an American Standard Accuclean whole house filter for ~$1800. It looks to me like the AS Accuclean is the same system as Trane's CleanEffects. Does anyone have experience with these systems in an environment with a lot of pet hair and dust? We have 13 cats and indoor litter boxes - so there is a lot of both. I'm interested in whether the Accuclean does filter as effectively as advertised in such an environment and whether anyone has had similar claims from HVAC techs about the need for added filtration on the HVAC system to avoid buildup on the coil.

The other alternative suggested was what he called, I think, a 'median filter' that would sit between the return and the coil and is designed to catch things like cat hair. This option was around $1100. If I do nothing, I am told that I will need to have the coil cleaned twice a year and that I am in danger of voiding the warranty on my AC unit if something goes wrong and the techs find a lot of buildup on the coils. The Accuclean is also attractive because we do have allergy problems in the house and have been running two room size air purifiers for a couple of years now. Getting rid of those units (or moving them close to the dust sources in the house...) would be nice.

Any thoughts? I'm in Houston, TX if it makes any difference to an answer.

Comment (1)