SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccag3

Need advice on color and pattern of backsplash tiles

rebeccag3
15 years ago

We are remodeling the kitchen and are nearing completion. We are still waiting on the cabinet surround for the range hood and lighting installation as well as a few other items. I need help deciding on the backsplash tile, though. We have New Venetian Gold granite counters and dark red walls. Cabinetry is Kitchen Craft seashell suede with mocha glaze and the island is espresso.

The floor is the big player in the equation, as we've installed cocoa and cream cork floor tiles in a checkerboard pattern. I like classic design elements and after visiting Paris recently I wanted to incorporate a bit of French bistro into the mix, without it being American-French country with roosters, etc. You get the idea.

That said, I am sold on glazed ceramic tile, which to me is very classic and breaks up all the stone slabs nicely. But we can't decide between going with one solid color with relief tiles for texture (either all taupe or all cream) or if I should mix the taupe and cream as in the photo (Walker Zanger, Gramercy Park or Tiberon). I don't want things too busy, but I'm clearly not after a neutral look either. I'm not sure if a subtle pattern on the backsplash will nicely mimic the floor or compete for attention too much.

I have mostly white small appliances and wanted them to stand out a little on the backsplash, instead of be lost in a sea of white/cream. I should also mention this is an old home with lots of character so it can carry some individuality (mine or yours)! Any suggestions will be appreciated. Please see "My Page" link to Photobucket for more photos. Thanks!

Comment (1)