SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katydidf

Desperately seeking posy pin makers to help autistic adults

katydidf
19 years ago

Hi,

This is my first posting to your fine forum. As the mother of an adult daughter with autism, I recently started a nonprofit foundation to start a house for her and a disabled man. The foundation also supports other parents trying to set up individualized programs for their loved ones usually relegated to group homes and institutions.

Since I teach knitting and crocheting, I decided my fundraising had to center around yarn. I have been cranking out dozens of crochet/knit posy pins to raise much needed dollars for the house and foundation. People love them. But I'm desperately in need of some help making one-of-a-kind pins. If anyone out these would be interested in donating a posy or two -- your own design -- I would be glad to return the favor by exchanging tips on yarn projects and sending you a nonprofit deduction for your time and materials for your taxes. The pins should all be unique, just like the programs we set up for autistic adults with unique needs. the pins are called "choices."

Thank you for a chance to tell you about our work.

Katie's mom

Comments (19)

• knitn4Dstressn
    19 years ago

I've been experimenting knitting different flowers and would be happy to send you some.

What kind of pin do you put on it? And what's the address to send them to?

• heydeborah
    19 years ago

Dear Katie's mom, although i am not familiar with posy pins, can you stear us in the direction of instructions for your worthwhile adventure. (I am the wife of a man who is a diabetic, double above the knee amputee and has heart problems) i ususally knit or quilt lap blankets for these folks (and do it so they don't know who or where they come from) also i usually donate to schools or other worthwhile ventures, and it seems to me this is worthwhile! debbie

• katydidf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful offers to help. The posies can be either crocheted or knitted. I can send you instructions. But I also noticed there are some patterns on this forum posted in the past month or so. I use the simple inexpensive pins found at any craft store. But I would be glad to add the pins myself when I receive the posies.
    I would love any type of hand made items for our foundation. OUr first craft fair is in July.
    Heydeborah, your quilts sound wonderful. I'm sure all the recipients have been thrilled with your generous gifts.
    Our address is: Katydid Foundation Inc., P.O. Box 941, Newburyport, MA 01950. Please include your full name and address so I can send you pictures of our first home and the two residents.
    If you need further info, please let me know.
    Thanks so very much for your help.
    Katie's mom

• sheilajoyce_gw
    19 years ago

I do not have any experience with posy pins. I will see if I can find some patterns online. I would be happy to make some and mail them to you. It is another good way to use up all my leftover yarns. Are you selling anything else at your craft fair? Who are the people who come to the fair and are your buyers? How about some mufflers? It must get cold up there, but I am not sure how well they will sell in July. I have made a muffler for my sons and daughter and their friends using leftover yarns, and they are all crazy about them and get comments from friends when they wear them. The mufflers that took more work do not get such enthusiastic comments! Go figure.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    19 years ago

Look on the Lionbrand.com site under free patterns--accessories has 4 different patterns.

• katydidf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sheilajoyce
    Those patterns are fine. I like each of the pins to be unique. So I make even the same pattern with different color combos or changes in stitches. If you type in "flowers" on this forum, you'll find several other patterns submitted on this site.
    And we certainly accept donations of any kind as long as they are hand knit or crocheted.
    The booth will be at our community's annual festival called Yankee Homecoming in the seaside town of Newburyport Mass. Thousands of locals and tourists attend this event. So I would think that anything would be appropriate including mufflers. If they don't sell then (August 2) we could try in the fall.
    Thanks again for your generous offer.
    Katie's mom

• sheilajoyce_gw
    19 years ago

We are planning a summer wedding here, so I will see what I can do around DD's August wedding.

• katydidf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi
    Anything you can do would be great. We plan on doing this as a year-round fundraiser for Katydid. So if you can't do anything this summer, we could still use donations whenever you have time. We're trying to schedule other events for fall and winter including silent auctions and a web site to offer our services for families with autistic adults. The first batch of sales will help pay for creating the Web site and printing brochures on our services. All of our family services will be free to those with disabled loved ones.
    Thank you very very much.

• janie_ga
    19 years ago

I can make little Christmas Stockings that hang on the tree. Will see what else I might have pattern wise. I love making them but there are only so many friends and family to give them to before they start hiding from you. (Kind of like a garden with fresh zucchini). Do you prefer the thick, regular yarn or the small thread kind. I have ton of both. It was my great grandmothers and she would be happy to know I am using it for a good cause.

Janie

• katydidf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Christmas stockings would be great Janie. Any type yarn you enjoy doing would be super. They should be a popular item and something we don't have.
    Thanks for your kind offer Janie.

Katie's mom

• useratl
    19 years ago

Does a posy differ from other kinds of little flowers? I went on a flower binge last spring, and I'm just looking for an excuse to make more!

• socks
    19 years ago

useratl, if it isn't too much trouble, maybe you could share your pattern. If you made so many, it must have been a good pattern!

• katydidf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"Posies" -- the name I've given to our pins -- can be any type of flower pin. I just love making them too. I get into my posy zone and the night is gone! That's why I like doing them to raise money for the foundation. They really are fun, especially making each one slightly different. I'd like to see your pattern too. The patterns on a post on this forum called "can't find a flower pattern!!!!!" are also pretty neat. I'll be glad to share mine as well.
    Katie's mom

• useratl
    18 years ago

cool!

You originally had said original patterns, but I can't design flowers!

All my faves are crochet . . . I've only found one knit leaf I like, and its in the "Knitting on the Edge" book.

~Great way to make starting circle -- revolutionary!
    http://www.crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

~ I took the rose from this square and used it alone. Way EZ!
    http://hometown.aol.com/crochetalong/irpill.html

http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/leaf.html

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/Flower%20Power%20Set.html

http://members.shaw.ca/benchrist1/

These could be violets:
    http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/carley%20flowers.html

New ones I just came across!

http://www.kreinik.com/kshop/product.php?productid=102&cat=33&page=3

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/adornment.htm

http://www.yarncat.com/flossflower.html

• katydidf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, great designs. Posies can be crochet or knit. By original, I meant each one tends to be slightly different depending on hook/needle size, yarn and variations to pattern as opposed to making dozens of same one. I just found out we're doing a small artisans' fair this weekend. So I'll "test" the pins I made on the public and let you all know how we make out. I'm also offering other knit/crochet donations including bags, felted items, scarves, afghans, etc. Now I have to figure out how to build a booth. I think making posies is the easiest part!
    Thanks for doing all your research "useratl."
    All of the proceeds will benefit the foundation and house where the residents could use outdoor furniture and landscaping for the summer.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

I sent you a box yesterday. I am not a good posey crocheter, but I included the nicer ones I made and gave you the rest of my pin backings I had bought from WalMart. I also included 4 mufflers I made for you. Hope it helps some. I needed to quit doing that and get to work around here. Yard needs attention for our August wedding.

• katydidf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sheilajoyce
    Thank you so much. Can't wait to see your posies and mufflers. I've been making so many flowers, I go through pins like crazy. I'll let you know when I receive the box. Good luck with your wedding preparations. And thanks again for doing so much for us.

• katydidf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I received your package today Sheila. The posies are adorable ... I definitely disagree with your assessment of your crocheting skills. The buttons and spiral centers make them different from any others we have received so far. And the mufflers will be a big hit here in frigid New England. Thank you so much for getting them to us in time for Sunday's fair!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions