SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
admwrlk_gw

American Standard Hybrid system

admwrlk
15 years ago

Hi, I'm in the midwest and have a 5100 sq ft home. I'm looking at replacing my 17 yo furnaces, 2 Carrier Weathermaker high efficiency , with electronic filtering system , (eletroair SST), two air conditioning units, one blown and one 4 years old (got 10 years out of the blown one) with a similar set up to above. Recommended by the dealer is 1 American standard 16, 2ton communicating heat pump with a Am ST. Freedom 95 60K btu, 3 stage furnace and Acculink 900 comfort controller... AND 1 Heritage 16 seer, 3 ton communicating heat pump with Freedom 95, 80K btu, 3 stage furnace, both with the AccuClear air cleaner system. We could keep the 4 yo air conditioner for a while, and put in the extra heat pump later. We could keep the current air cleaner (the kids, who sleep near it downstairs say it cracks and pops a bit). I'm looking at getting another quote, and from the looks of it above Carrier would be the place to get another quote and opinion. The American standard dealer made a big deal about the communication between the furnace and heat pump, calling this "geothermal above ground, at 1/3 of the price". We probably could get a couple more years out of our furnace, but has needed repair a couple of times, and were told it could become a problem, which we'd like to avoid in the middle of winter. We did consider geothermal and priced that out last year, and just felt the retrofit wasn't worth the bother. A contractor friend recommended that future high efficiency furnaces would make the geothermal unnecessary, at least for retrofitting. Any opinions out there? Does Carrier or anyone else have a similar system? The American Standard salesman talks about "8 wires" for communication , that perhaps the other systems don't have. We spoke to a local Carrier rep who doesn't seem enthused about these sort of systems. One has a Carrier system in his home, but felt that his gas and electric bills went up. It sounds like he had it set to go to furnace only at 20 degrees F, which theAm ST salesman says is too low, that he would recommend 30 degrees. Anyplace you can recommend for more info would be helpful. We could always go with a new air conditioner, and new high efficiency furnaces at much less money.

Comment (1)