SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Portable Gas Generator - Brand Suggestions?

not2bright
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm not new to GardenWeb but am new to this forum. :-)

I've got a question about portable generators for any with experience on the subject. We live in eastern Pa. and have had a HomeLite model (4400; standing, no wheels) for about 25 years. But it's time we get a new one.

Not knowing anything about generator brands I have looked at other sites (e.g. Lowe's, etc.) to see what they have and have looked at the reviews. But I thought I'd ask for experienced feedback here, too, to see which you might consider the most reliable, or which ones to stay away from.

We don't need one to run the whole house 24hrs. a day when there's an outage. Just the necessities: furnace/air conditioner, fridge and maybe TV/computer briefly for information's sake. We're really not power-hungry people when there's an outage. I usually just run the generator for an hour or two and then shut it down for 3-4 hrs. and start it back up when necessary. Still, I'd like to find one that's going to 'be there' for us when we need it. But I have no clue about modern brands and output compared to what generators were like over a quarter century ago when the other one was purchased (by a now deceased family member; I was very young then). :-)

Any suggestions on brand & output are welcome!

Thank you!

Scott

EDIT: I can't edit my subject line for this thread, so I will mention here that by "gas" I mean "gasoline powered." I'm not really interested just now in buying a propane or natural gas powered model. Thanks.

This post was edited by not2bright on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:16

Comments (8)