SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

how do you knit?

Carol_Ann
17 years ago

OK, first off, I have to confess: I'm a self-taught knitter, probably like a lot of people. Maybe not like a lot of people, I couldn't get the hang of how to hold the yarn while knitting so I improvised and came up with my own style... not very "professional" looking, I'm sure, but I get the job done.

But it's occurred to me lately that if I did it "right," then I might knit more efficiently and maybe a bit better (more even stitches, although mine are ok if I don't put a project down for too long, and maybe it would be better as I learn new stitches and stuff.). Anyway, in looking for instructions, I was reminded that there are at least two common methods to hold the yarn. I watched a video and decided to try the continental method. It's a bit awkward, but it's already feeling better than when I try to hold the yarn with my right hand (correctly or incorrectly. When I hold it correctly, it definitely doesn't work for me).

So I was wondering how y'all knit... and have you tried both, and have you had better luck with one than another? I'm guessing for most, whatever you learned first is what you like best, but that didn't work out for me. What are your thoughts? Is my cobbled method ok if it works, or for the long run, is it worth learning to use a more traditional method?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions