SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexmomof3

Please help me read my Manual J calculation report

lexmomof3
11 years ago

So after questioning the size unit that was proposed for our new construction house, I asked for the load calculation report. They had not done one so they did it after my request. I don't believe that they actually came to the house but rather used the plans provided by the builder along with some other info. The problem is that they didn't account for some of the changes that we made such as:

First floor:

1. We eliminated a room that was approximatley 150 sq ft.
2. The eliminated room had 2 windows.
3. We eliminated a window from a closet.
4. The plan had a 3/4 glass front entry door, we have a solid wood door.

The report doesn't really tell me what else they put in the calculations but I know my builder said that he sent them the R-values. Of course, he also said that he told them about the eliminated room.

Second floor:

On the second floor, we made some changes as well. We added some square footage but I still think they are about 100+ over. We eliminated two skylights which I don't know that they eliminated from the calculation but will find out tomorrow. We are foaming the roof and I do believe that they factored that in. Also, it says that the upstairs unit will be a multi-zone unit but it will not. We have decided not to zone it based on previous experience. Will the zone (no zone) affect the calculation?

There are several of different numbers for the tons, net required, rec ton and actual. What is what?

Comments (6)